#268: Geek Nostalgia, Ian Chisholm/Clear Skies 3

Lol. He sure did, but I clarified that earlier.

Shooter, I really enjoyed your guest appearance on the cast this week. Good job, dude.

Meg Ryan movies boil down to one thing: When Harry Met Sally. Peak. Of. Adorableness. Also, WHMS is my #1 romantic comedy of all cinema.

[quote=“Nike,post:5,topic:13106”]

I used to be so pure, like a glass of water in Eddie Murphy’s hand, and now the innocence is gone. Long gone.[/quote]

So I was going to respond with the standard IYKWIM, since I more or less fell out of my bus seat when he said that. But yours is better. Win.

Kind of like I had a complete breakdown when I watched Grave of the Fireflies and my mother thought one of my friends must have died in a fiery car crash.

I actually like a good sad/horrifying ending sometimes. Sometimes even when it really, truly hurts. Sometimes even when the experience is as unexpected as a sucker punch delivered by a complete stranger standing next to you on the street.

Berserk’s ending leaves you in a completely different state than Grave of the Firefly.

That said, if you watch Grave of a the Fireflies and you’re not a mess at the end, you’re not human.

Berserk was dark. Grave of the Fireflies was sad. I can understand your mother’s misunderstanding.

Silverhawks, oh yes I remember that spinoff… But no love for Tigersharks??

//youtu.be/HJ3Vjiet59E

The cartoons of our youth are always better in our memories than they are IRL, I still remember how devastated I was when I found a youtube clip of the opening of my beloved ‘Rocket Robin Hood’. Oh Crom but it was total crap! Nothing like I remembered it being…

Early Geek Memories:

Always watched the old Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers serials before going to school. Space Ghost, The Herculoids, Sealab 2000, on Sat mornings. And on the Banana Splits Show it was The Three Musketeers and The Arabian Knights cartoons that I adored. And I can still remember when Johnny Quest was on PRIME TIME! Yes, I am old… JQ and The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn (Live action and Animation) would come on before the Magical World of Disney on Sunday nights.

Saturday afternoons I would watch SciFi movies (Black and White classics) and serials, The Rocketman, The Copperhead, and so forth… You know the old style ‘Cliffhangers’ even a few Captain Marvels and other crimefighters. And as a young’in I really liked Japanese Monster movies too, I had no idea how bad they really were back then, I just loved the effects and the destruction.

And I loved to build models, I had models of the ship from Land of the Giants, the spaceship from the animated Fantastic Voyage series, the flying sub from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and a few others… God those were good times…

I think spin-off is an overstatement. They used Happy Days as a proving ground for a character they weren’t sure would work. In my mind a spin-off is when an established character from a series gets a series of their own (Frasier, Joey, Laverne and Shirley). This one is a little odd as they stuck a martian into Happy Days and people didn’t revolt.

I agree that Sean should give season 5 and Matt Smith a shot. Knowing Sean though, this isn’t a “I’m staying away from it” but rather a “I haven’t gotten to it yet”.

I like Matt Smith as the Doctor. It took me a while to get into it, but he grew on me and he’s a great Doctor (“It’s a Fez, I wear a Fez now, Fezes are cool”). David Tennant is my Doctor though. I don’t think anything is going to change that. With #10, he would always play the part of the happy thoughtful doctor, until you did something that he couldn’t abide.

I enjoyed something about his compassion, his mercy, and his vengeance. Tennant was so delightful in the role. They wrapped up 10 well though. He was both exciting and terrifying at the end.

Whatever way you look at it, Doctor Who is an amazing show. GWC needs to do a Doctor Who arc. When you guys get there, give me a call, I’ll do a segment for you.

Re: Portal 2. The other thing that sets Portal 2 apart from just about every other game I have played: Comedy! Portal 2 is legitimatly funny. Stephen Merchent has a lot to do with it for sure, but I can’t help but think the guys over at Valve have created the first true Comedy/Action (or maybe Comedy/Action/Puzzle) game.

I have been thinking of what falls into this category of Geek Nostalgia for me given the definition being used in the podcast of something that I was completely passionate about at a certain time and place that I imbued with total awesomeness with my imagination and am now slightly terrified to go back to or I love still even tho it doesn’t hold up.

First: TRON
I know, I know, with the recent awesomeness it might be hard to remember that even a few years ago people rolled their eyes at this movie. I was a third-grade and at a sleepover at the dawn of the VCR and this was the movie that we watched. When it was over all the other guys ran off into another room to play, I sat there transfixed. I rewound the tape and watched it again. And again. TRON will also hold a special place for me when I truly realized I was a geek. I didn’t care what the other guys thought, when they asked if I wanted to take a break I replied, “Nope, I’m good.” I can watch this movie today and rationally see the movie is flawed. The effects are ground breaking but do not hold up. There are serious plot flaws and inconsistencies and I do not care. I should go revise my Space iPad list as I can watch this 1,000 times and love it every time.

Second: Condorman (IMDB)
99% of you are going to read that title twice and go, “huh? wha?” I saw this movie in the theatre when I was nine with my best friend. The IMDB plot summary is, “Cartoonist Woody becomes the superhero he draws. Using his gadgets he helps a Soviet spy defect to the West.” We came back to his apartment and proceeded to emulate what we saw on the screen. We designed gadgets, made up stories hoping to become Condorman.

For whatever reason it simply terrifies me to seek this movie out. There is something I absolutely cherish about that time, the wonder and general joy that I felt for all the things I did related to Condorman.

That’s my geek nostalgia for you. As a sidenote I also smile at the memory of sitting on my Mother’s bed watching two hours of news shows because they promised to show a clip from Return of the Jedi. I watched four news shows to see the same 7 second clip and did not care. It was awesome.

yup … “French Kiss” and “You’ve Got Mail” are great flix.

wife and I watch these regularly and pull quotes often.

You’ve Got Mail

“F.O.X.”
“Quelle Nightmare”
“The Godfather is the sum of all wisdom”
“You need quiet while a hotdog is singing?”

French Kiss

“You people make my ass twitch”
“Fester fester fester, rot rot rot”
“yes it was so beautiful I had to leave”
“poor you, you had to grow up here”

we like what we like :slight_smile:

heh heh heh heh heh heh :smiley:

After listening to this post, I just had an awesome idea for a cast arc. How about movies which had scenes in old time video game arcades? Karate Kid is one that stands out to me.

looks like this link would be a good place to start.

http://users.rcn.com/jenison/mars/vidmovies.html

some fondly remembered flix in that list :slight_smile:

Take the r out of Condorman and it all makes sense.

I’m on holiday in Cardiff right now so I haven’t had a chance to download the pod cast yet, but as soon as I get home, I’m going to pimp the doctor who tardis picture I took in Wales :slight_smile:

Don’t be a Punk
And buy just anyone’s spunk
Buy
Sean’s Cream!

It is an all natural and organic propriatery blend, no artifical colors, fillers or presevatives. Act now while supplies last!

Available at these fine retailers-
[CENTER]Sir Cram-alot’s Inn[/center]
[spoiler]Klingon Fisting. Crom[/spoiler]
Manjuzes.Gov
Hole Foods

I completely agree about David Tennant and Matt Smith. David Tennant was an amazing Doctor and will always have a special place. However, Matt Smith came in as the Doctor at just the right time, and I was sold by the end of his first episode, despite “Geronimo” (and even Tennant took a few episodes to oust Eccleston and earn my love and adoration). I think Matt Smith is a great lead for the necessary place where Stefan Moffit is taking the show and suggest that everyone give him a try!

Do share!!

Also, I forgot to add, I’m completely sold on going back to check our Clear Skies 1 & 2 so that when CS3 is finished, I can enjoy the experience. I love hearing about things on the 'cast and getting excited to watch them myself.

And some of my geek nostalgia (on a broad scope):
-X-Men cartoons were a big one
-playing Atari and Sega
-learning to run DOS on the computer so I could play XANTH
-watching The Princess Bride every day (yes every day) after school for all of elementary (also not geek related, but eating chocolate chip cookie icecream sandwiches from the Swann’s guy and drinking Dr. Pepper while watching said move, every day)
-earning the right to watch Star Wars
-and of course, playing role-playing games that we made up as kids outside, running around acting out scenes from X-Men and making up other ‘super powers’ we would have and building forts outside. and now it hits me why I love dressing up for RenFests and want to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow, ha

I’m sure there’s a lot more, but that’s the foundation of what I can remember.

ADDED EDIT: Great to have Shooter on the 'cast again!

I’ve only been able to find one Netflix series in production, House Of Cards with Kevin Spacey. Has anyone heard of others?

~Shooter Out

Thanks Gryper!

Sean’s description on the forum has been successfully changed from GWC Crüe to p0rn puppy.

~Shooter Out

Pic of me in front of a Tardis with my son (or is it me holding my younger self :slight_smile: ).