#259: Time Travel, Part I, Dr. Ron Mallett

One Time Travel movie that always gets stuck in my head for multiple reasons is Final Countdown. Before 9/11 Pearl Harbor was undoubtedly the worst military tragedy ever to befall the United States, and to find yourself back in early December 1941 in the Pacific Ocean with a fully equipped modern aircraft carrier and have the decision available to attempt to stop that tragedy and potential tens of millions of deaths from happening was a very powerful concept to me. Plus I like the song Final Countdown and there were some pretty big name actors in the movie.

~Shooter Out

I’m almost surprised you guys didn’t bring up Dr. Who in your Time Travel discussion. I would think would would be a favorite for a lot of people. The Doctor goes to many of the historical times and places Audra would like to see, he has a great robot dog for Sean to like in K-9, and I’m sure Chuck would like the Doctor as well. But that’s just my 2 cents.

~Shooter Out

I found Batman: Dead End some years ago (pre-YouTube!) and watched it an absurd amount of times! So well done.
I’ll have to check out Hunter Prey now, for sure.

hey, did anybody notice a blip in the matrix? When Chuck & Sean mentioned “The Philadelphia Experiment” twice? Our timeline had changed! heheh…

I reckon Groundhog’s day to be a time loop story - much like that episode in Stargate when o’Neill (2 L’s) taught Teal’c to juggle (my all time favourite episode!)

Welcome aboard, Madbilly. I too was a fan of Voyagers as a lad. I’ll have to try to find a copy and see how it holds up.

Would Quantum Leap be considered a Time Travel story?

~Shooter Out

Yup. Capt. Archer is physically traveling, as the episode when he becomes an amputee makes clear.

Thank you and you can NetFlix Voyagers (just not instant watch)

For another totally unique take on time travel, there’s also Slaughterhouse-Five, a story where a character instantly jumps back and forth between points in his own life. It’s also one of the most compelling film adaptations of a novel ever made, imo.

When it was determined that “Groundhog Day” was considered time travel it reminded me of a made-for-tv movie called “12:01” (which, coincidentally [?], aired the same year as “Groundhog Day”). The premise is similar; a guy keeps reliving the same day over and over, but it’s more dramatic and there is a sci-fi explanation for it. It stars Jonathan Silverman, Helen Slater, Jeremy Piven and the great Martin Landau.
For more time travel; I would recommend “Timeline”. The movie is pretty good but (naturally) the book by Michael Chrichton is even better.

Welcome aboard Strahven. That reminds me of Early Edition, where a guy gets a newspaper delivered every day, only it’s the next day’s edition. He has to figure out what he’s supposed to change.

When you engage your brain it’s quite amazing how widespread time travel has been as a plot device in television and movie story telling, there’s something fundamentally intriguing about the mystery and possibilities it offers.

Yah, me too. Very funny.
l loved the 'cast.

Is that the movie where there’s like a particle accelerator or something and the corporation sabotaged it and the guy keeps reliving that day and he’s the only one that remembers so eventually he gets it right where he exposes the boss and gets with the hot scientist chick?

1- You must have a very cool mom !!

2- Thanks for the suggestion. I just added Tuning Into SciFi TV to my podcast line up.

Am I the only one who kept thinking of the TNG episode Tapestry throughout the interview with the professor? For those of you that don’t remember that is the episode where Q gives Picard the chance to relive his encounter with the Nausicans where he ended up stabbed through the heart in a bar fight. His wiser older self prevents the foolhardy fight in the past finds himself a junior officer in the present often passed over for promotion because of his failure to show initiative and take risks. Anyway the scrip writes itself. Dr. Mallett invents his time machine. Goes back and saves his dad, follows in his footsteps, and finds himself an unemployed tv repairman in this age of disposable and replaceable technology. I guess it’s possible that it’s from the worst moments from our past that we gain the most.

Welcome to the Forum Strahven.
Timeline- I really like this movie, one of the few DVDs I owe.
Not enough about time travel however.

Audra, thanks for talking up Kindred! It’s a fabulous book that more people should read :slight_smile:

Can you go back into the past and prevent what allowed you to go back to the past?
Thanks for the headache;)

Amen to that. Amazing book.