#246: Narnia, Part I

Audra delivers a truly awesome C.S. Lewis primer, introducing the Narnia world. We watch and discuss Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. And we run down the week in geek, including the new Cowboys and Aliens trailer, the new Green Lantern trailer, an upcoming Dragonheart-meets-Dorkness Rising flick called Your Highness, and Sean’s Faery play experience.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Lion Witch And Such is one of those books: If you get a little misty-eyed, you’re some kind of prick.

CS Lewis = Clive Staples Lewis. Staples = awesomest name ever? Certainly right up there with Arthur Conan Doyle.

YAR - Thar be downloadin

i’ve read lion withc and wadrobe and seen the movie also, I did like them (saw the movie qite recently) am downloadin gpodcast now but have to finish listening to my current ep of sci fi dig first.
Phaze
on the “Ya ya I knows, I should always put GWC first in my playlist but my in car mp3 fast forward is crappy so will not interrupt it mid podcast” ID

Is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble downloading the cast via iTunes?

No, but it is showing up as a different podcast on my iPhone. RSS change, maybe?

pn09: what’s the problem you’re having?

I’ve begun listening to this episode now (I do so in 15 minute stretches, to and from the train, back and forth from job, so ~1h a day…) - and I’m quite happy about Two Guys, A Girl and a pizza place being mentioned. I thought it was a rather funny sitcom.

Berg (Ryan Reynolds) was this medical student (atleast at one point in the show), and sometimes partook in medical experiments, and there was much laughter. The pizza place in the title, which was later dropped from the show’s name, was where Berg and his roomie worked. There was this regular customer there who always told the synopsis of famous movies, as if they were his own life story.

But the reason for this post here, is another cast member, that Audra forgot to mention (it’s possible he wasn’t a regular on the show when it started, so she’s forgiven).

This is the cast of Two Guys and a Girl.

Recognize the guy to the right?

Let me throw it down as best I know how (At least in the sense of the White Wolf RPG)

I am a vampire
Bob and I are vampires
My friends and I are Kindred

Riddick is a fairy
Riddick and Toombes are fairies
Riddick, Toombes and his friends are Fae

Jacob is a werewolf
Jacob and Edwards are werewolves
Jacob, Edward and his family are Garou

I believe that it is the race (group).

Oxford is about an hour away from me, so the likelyhood of this would be pretty high. I live in Ledbury (Audra: Birth place of the poet John Masefield) which is the next town to Malvern which is famous for the Malvern Hills. On the Malvern Hills are streetlamps.

Big whoop you ask…

These are not your convential modern streetlamps that you get across USA/UK. These are the original gaslamps from the early victorian era (I do believe they may have been upgraded so that they’re not gas anymore). It is these street lights that are rumored to be the inspiration for the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe streetlight that is the focus point for the kids in Narnia.

‘C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien are among the authors that have frequented Malvern. Legend states that, after drinking in a Malvern pub one winter evening, they were walking home when it started to snow. They saw a lamp post shining out through the snow and Lewis turned to his friends and said “that would make a very nice opening line to a book”. Lewis’ book The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe later used that image as the characters enter the realm of Narnia.

Malvern’s famous set of 150 year old working Victorian gas lamps are an almost unique sight in the 21st C. Installed when the local gas works was completed in 1856, the lamps are still gently illuminating the streets and footpaths of Malvern Wells.

Finding gas lamps burning in quiet places surrounded by trees (such as by the Devils Spring in Holywell Road, the Pixie Path and Malvern Wells Common) inspired the imagination of the writer CS Lewis.

Lewis was at a boarding school right on the edge of Malvern Wells Common. He loved Malvern and visited regularly right until the end of his life. In the children’s classic “The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe”, Lewis tells of the mysterious ‘Lantern Waste’. There, in the wicked White Witch’s snowbound woodland, the magical (good magic of course) lighted Lamp Post shows the way to safety for Lucy & Mr Tumnus in the land of Narnia.

The Victorian gas lamps are very beautiful with their green & gold paint and barley twist columns. They are much loved for their romantically gentle light that lets us see the velvety darkness and bright stars of the Malvern Hills’ night skies. The lamps are an important part of tourists’ Malvern Experience and children of all ages seek to find the True Narnian Lamp Post in Malvern woodlands.

J.R.R. Tolkien also found inspiration in the Malvern landscape. He was introduced to the area by C. S. Lewis, who had brought him here to meet George Sayer, the Head of English at Malvern College (which is a very expensive boarding school). Sayer had been a student of Lewis, and became his biographer, and together with them Tolkien would walk the Malvern Hills. Excerpts from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were recorded in Malvern in 1952, at the home of George Sayer. The recordings were later issued on long-playing gramophone records.[61] In the liner notes for J.R.R Tolkien Reads and Sings his The Hobbit & The Fellowship of the Rings, George Sayer wrote that Tolkien would relive the book as they walked and compared parts of the Malvern Hills to the White Mountains of Gondor.[62]

Holywells Road in Malvern

Malvern Common

Just thought you might want to know.

Without looking at google - Is the quote from Bulletproof Monk?

Yes! Thank you sir! Could not remember for the life of me what the hell the name of that movie was.

won’t sling mud cause i never met the man but a friend of mine has and will just say Reynold’s not so cool. Alannis complete sweetheat.

regardless love his movies and hell be deadpool one day. so that means never having to say your sorry.

I just wanted to say real quick: Kudos to Audra! Absolutely love the C.S. Lewis segment.

I have read the Space Trilogy, Mere Christianity (based on the radio program), Surprised by Joy (his memoir), and The Screwtape Letters.

I always considered the Space Trilogy more SF than something like Star Wars. There is a moment which explains why Earth has experienced no contact with any other life in the universe by saying, ‘Earth is the silent planet’ and has been restricted. The story paints the inner planets of the solar system alive and beautiful. Since we are the fallen race, we can’t see it for what it is. There are other factors but GO READ IT!

Audra, you spoke out of passion and love. I’m sure as others will attest, a wonderful segement.

Ummm…now with a correction…

Lewis got the space-travel story and Tolkien got the time-travel story. Lewis wrote ‘Out of the Silent Planet’. However, Tolkien’s time-travel story was not LotR. It was called ‘The Lost Road’. He never really finished it, though. Segments of it were published posthumously. If it’s any consolation, it was Middle-Earthish.

Oh…and speaking of Christian allegory and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I remember watching an interview with the director Andrew Adamson and he was asked about the Christian allegory and he was clueless. He actually said, “I had no idea.”

I was like, “Whut? You’re directing the film and you didn’t know that!?!”

I wondered if he was being cheeky about it and they just edited that out.

Frakkin weird.

Ah, you beat me to it.  I watched that show when it was on.  The thing is is that I don't remember the middle guy.  Wasn't Fillion blondie's boyfriend or a romantic rival or something?  I distinctly remember not being able to decide whether I liked Fillion's character.

I don’t know if he’s been having the same problem I had, but the last podcast I was able to download via iTunes was 244, I ended up listening to 245 streaming from the website. I was downloading 246 when our internet went out earlier today (boo!), but in order to get it I had to resubscribe to the podcast. In the old stuff I was using it just gave me error messages (that gray exclamation point).

Of particular interest (and awesome coincidence): the ECUSA has CS Lewis listed to be commemorated on November 22 :slight_smile: (that is, today).

The Adventures of Sean were super-evocative. Sitting on the coffee table, 4 a.m., in underwear and a gas mask reminded me of naked Mal Reynolds in Trash. “Well, that went well.”

And the fable story was like Scarface. “I don’t kill no focking dogs, mang!”

Oh SNAP!! I had the same quote pop in my head while listening. giggle