#240: Dragonslayer, Eddie McClintock

We kick off our dragon arc this week with Dragonslayer. Eddie McClintock joins us with good news about Warehouse 13’s third season. Sean offers a primer for those not up to speed on dragon lore. And we run down the week in geek including Jack Sparrow’s school visit, Zach Snyder’s directorial role for the new Superman movie, and new Ghostbusters 3 rumors.

Direct DownloadBlog Post

WOOT! Thar be downloadin’!!

I listened last night before bed and didn’t do my normal stream of conscious writing while listening. So, I may make multiple posts as I remember stuff instead of making one big post. Sorry.

But, here’s what I can remember right now.

• I forgot MacNichols was in Ghost Busters. (: I wouldn’t mind a Next Generation movie. I just hope it’s better than Generations. (: And, I hope Slimer makes an appearance. Loved him as a kid on the cartoon.

• I wondered what was going on with the music while listening to Sean. But, I ignored it after awhile to focus on him. (: Nice summary there though, Sean.

• Religion and snakes. Yeah, snake and serpent worshipers were around a lot way back when.

• In anime, dragons are usually something to be worthy of awe instead of feared. Unless they are under some corruption influence. Hell, didn’t the Power Rangers have a dragon?

• Talos and I are trying to have a Ladyhawke frak, but haven’t pinned down a time. Maybe next weekend?

• Minority of a minority
    So, I’m an African American with a disability who happens to like anime, sci fi, fantasy, gaming, and role playing. If I were a woman, I’d have a claim to being the minority-est. d:

• About Audra’s future D&D game
    I don’t claim to know Audra’s preference, or whether you’re planning a standard AD&D session. I just wanted to point out that TSR isn’t the only game around. Personally, I prefer the White Wolf format though I haven’t played in a decade. If/when she plays and she decides it’s not her bag, I just want to point out maybe she’d prefer a different system (like WW) or setting (current time or future as opposed to medieval). Of course, I believe everyone who is interested in D&D should try TSR. I just hope you guys use an easy AD&D Edition. (:

But knowing Sean and Chuck, I suppose I shouldn’t worry too much. ^^

• Chuck, nice going on the autographed book. (:

• Reign of Fire
    After listening to Sean’s explanation for why we’re not having a Reign of Fire segment, I’m ok with the decision now. That said, I hop to see people tonight at the frak. I’ll be missing football for it! d:

Captain Jack Sparrow at school:

//youtu.be/rHiB0z2ulf8

“Crunching and Munchings for Gurgi!” = Lloyd Alexander: The Chronicles of Prydain, baby! I loved me that series growing up.

Surprised you guys missed the old Wizard’s subtitle allusions about dragons and magic users being connected. That he was the literal last of his kind on his way to face off against another nearly extinct creature.

Also, thought the “noble” dragon should be called the “pimp” dragon. Given that if you happen to come across a particularly ancient evil one that would deal as soon as roast you, even if you come away alive its going to feel like you’ve been…well, let’s just something rude that involves lube only no lube was used. Not unless you count sandpaper.

Dragons that I knew when growing up

Tiamat from Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon

Falkor from Never ending story

Lockheed from Marvel Comics

Does the Loch Ness Monster count as a dragon?

and of course, england’s patron saint. St George was to have defeated a dragon

I do like fantasy, but I just have to read alot more books about it, I find it hard to start…

Also it would be cool to have a D&D group on here or via twitter…I love making up characters although I’ve never played classic D&D or Tabletop. Although I have played white wolf vampire: masquerade online.

Hear hear for St. George.

(music to accompany picture)

//youtu.be/v/CN11bI1_sZo?fs=1&hl=en_US

My favorite dragon tale has to be the one within the Tale of Turin Turambar that’s part of J.R.R. Tolkein’s “The Silmarillion”.

It can also be found in the recently (last year) published “Children of Hurin”.

Anyone else a fan?

Glaurung was the first of the Dragons, in J. R. R. Tolkien’s fictional Middle-earth legendarium. He was known as the Deceiver, the Golden, and the Worm of Greed.

Glaurung, Turin & the Fall of Nargothrond

Absolutely a Fan! Especially after the Crew interviewed the Tolkien Professor. Have been listening to his podcasts and they are excellent. Highly recommended.

I may not have Dragon artwork on my walls but I do have a large assortment of Todd McFarlane Dragon figurines on nearly every horizontal surface. I think they are pretty cool… Here is a link for those of you who wish to see what they look like-

http://www.spawn.com/toys/categorytype.aspx?categoryid=6

I also have a ‘young dragon’ from the Windstone collection, which a very thoughtful girlfriend from my past got me for my birthday. It is a very cool blend of blues, purple and gold. I think it is what they are now calling emerald peacock… here is a link to the collection.

http://www.windstoneeditions.com/dragonpg4.htm

Spensers Gifts a number of years ago were carrying a very fascinating collection of Dragon mirrors, shelves and sconces and so forth, I thought they were awesome. But by the time I managed to get some money together they were all sold out. I have never seen them since, and I tried to find them online but was unsuccessful. They were all a kind of faux burnished pewter.

The largest lizard in my collection is still the Stan Winston Studios Velociraptor diorama, it is huge! Here is the only pic of the thing that I could find online-

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/jurassic-park-velociraptor-movie-prop-maquette

Yeah, Dragons are cool…

Me! Love the story of Turin and Glaurung in The Silmarillion…also Smaug in The Hobbit.

I’ve been reading fantasy books/stories since childhood, along with Sci-Fi. I have no recollection what my first fantasy book was, I just remember reading one after another as quickly as possible. If the school library didn’t have more…we ordered them from the Rolling Prairie Library, which located the book at another library in their system (Central Illinois) and shipped it to the local library or school for me to check out.

Love the dragon arc!

Eddie had me at “I’m a great dad.”

Me too…that was a great interview!

It was indeed a good interview probably because I think we heard a lot of Eddie and not Pete or Eddie as his publicist wants him to be. I’ll admit I wasn’t sold on his performance as Pete in the pilot of W13 which may now be the result of the creative push/pulling that went on prior to Eddie being cast.

Goodboy Bindle Featherstone of Quirm aka Errol will forever be the template for Dragons having faced down the more traditional great big flying lizard and rearranging his own plumbing to flame backwards.

Shameful confession time: I was terrified of Peter MacNicol for a long time when I was a kid because of Ghostbusters 2. I saw that scene where he shows up as the ghost nanny to steal Oscar withi absolutely no context and for some reason, it scared the absolute crap out of me. More shameful confessions: the cartoon terrified me because of an episode about a werechicken, even though I loved it until that episode, and I couldn’t watch the D&D cartoon because there was some sequence at some point in time with skeletons walking around with no muscle support, and when I was six I was terrified of absolutely everything.

That said, I loved Dragonslayer once I got a little older. I haven’t seen it since I was about sixteen or seventeen, but I’m a big fan of eighties movies since they still use a lot of the special effects that I love and wanted to get into, but I have fond memories of watching it on Encore at one in the morning on Friday nights.

Great podcast as always guys, and turns what would be a dreary Monday at work into something enjoyable. Really dug the breakdown on dragons, and got me thinking about the dragons I have read about - Go Sean!

I liked your thoughts on Reign of Fire being a reworking of the classic Dragon Slaying story, but for me it didn’t work. More than anything else I found the presence of the military suddenly turning up (and then just as quickly disappearing) scratching my head. My first thought was “I thought you guys were experienced in this?”, and the second was “Where are all your buddies?” - I mean someone had to bring that stuff with them, and would need transportation infrastructure to do it. I am possibly over-thinking this (yes, it is fantasy, but I could not help myself thinking these questions). Nonetheless, it was a visually stunning movie, as you could almost taste the ash in the air. Although I do wish we had seen the AH-64 vs. dragon that had been promised in the films posters.

As for gaming - as in the tabletop RPG variety - I have been gaming for over twenty years (and now writing about), from D&D and MERPS (Middle Earth Role Playing System) to Wod (World of Darkness by White Wolf) and Mechwarrior. Any type of genre is catered for in gaming, including bunnies. My own personal favourite games for WTF is Macho Women With Guns, and the expansion book Renegade Nuns on Wheels…

They explain the military. They’re militia from America that lost a ton of equipment when the plane they took across the Atlantic went down. That’s why they were recruiting from the castle. So…I mean maybe rewatch it?

I’ve never read this before, but the character was is in Disney’s, “The Black Cauldron.” Was this the source material for the movie?

My favorite dragon of all time is The Huffless Puffless Dragon.

//youtu.be/Gl5GIuaibnI

The Hobbit was the first fantasy novel I really got into so Smaug is probably the template for dragons in my mind. Or Falkor. Or that dragon king from the beginning of Monkey Magic. He gifts Monkey his magic staff and then eats Tripitakas horse. After discovering Tripiktakas sacred mission he transforms into a horse and allows Tripitaka to ride him. Awesome!