#218: Iron Man, Star Trek Douchebags (Kai Winn)

This week: Comic author and Iron Man movie consultant Matt Fraction joins us to discuss Tony Stark. We go all Galileo on Kai Winn in the first installation of our Star Trek douchebags arc. And we talk Iron Man 2, having enjoyed the premiere immensely. We also run down the week in geek including Alexander Siddig’s DS9 rant, Spielberg and Abrams’ latest flick, Super 8, and the Space Shuttle Atlantis’ final casting call.

Direct DownloadBlog Post

WOOT!!

WOOT, I say!!!

So is this episode #217.5? Or maybe #217B? Or is this 217-D and we’ll see the 217-B and -C in flashback or time travel episodes?

Ohh, fast change of the episode number. I didn’t even finish typing my last post. :smiley:

218, no A, B, C OR D! :smiley:

Yeah, but the cast on iTunes is identified as #217, and I can’t listen to it until after I see the movie…next Saturday…waaaaaaah.

I was hoping everything was okay with the podcast, but know that I see it comes in at nearly 3 hours I can understand why it would take a little while to produce. As always you guys out do yourselves. Looking forward to it!

Actually, I can help you out here! You can totally listen to the cast. Just stop when you hear the music after the Matt Fraction interview (which doesn’t include any IM2 spoilers, btw). Our discussion of IM2 is in the last segment, which you can hold off on until after you see the movie. :slight_smile:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :smiley: I won’t have total GWC withdrawal…ossim! I’ll only have to avoid a couple of threads to avoid spoilers…starting with this one from this point on.

Yay I’m home and can listen!

I know Captain America has already been cast, but do you think Captain Awesome would have been good for the role?

EDIT: Oh, and the Castle thing was part of the “Regal First Look”, which the Regal movie theaters run for about the 10-15 minutes before the lights go down for the trailers.

Finished up the 'cast, finally understood why Solai made the Fraggles vs Smurfs deathmatch, and had Iron Man 2 spoiled for me (but I hold nothing against ya, I’ll forget it all by the time I watch the movie :wink: ).

Gotta say, Sean, I’m one of those two people who have seen and own The Dark Crystal, though I didn’t pick it up til almost college. Totally an enjoyable movie, and I think a continuation in the world could be very interesting. Even more could be going back in time before the movie, and to the kingdom of the Gelflings we see in ruins in the movie. I’ve got to watch it when I get home, for some reason I didn’t seem to bring that movie with me.

And Chuck, if Iron Man is awesome because he’s a cross between a tank and a fighter, I have to say you should watch Robotech, and see the ossimness that is a Veritech. They even make transforming hover tanks later, if you really want to see the tank side.

mmm, DS9, that’s on the list if I ever have a lot of money to drop, or if I find a nearby friend with the series.

And did I hear mention of an anime arc? drools And if Chuck is only one step from cosplaying, I’m two steps. The hardest part is finding something that I feel like I can fit myself into. Too damn many characters are small or skinny, and I’m a big guy (and I don’t mean just my gut). And if I’m going to do it, I want to do it right, kind of like the way Chuck feels about being a comic guy. There’s a level of commitment and getting things together you ought to do before you put yourself out there as part of it.

And I didn’t mind the three hour cast, just gave me more walking to do today around town as I listened.

In case anyone wants the link to the Kai Winn worship website (oh, yes, there is such a thing): :eek:
http://www.littlereview.com/goddesslouise/ds9/kaiwinn.htm

On another subject, the theme of “In the Hands of the Prophets” reminds me of course about the debate about Intellingent Design. Personaly, I’m a very non-religious person so I have not much respect for Intelligent Design. But I respect other’s rights to believe in what they want to believe.

As a West Wing fan, I think this clip makes a great statement about the teaching of Intellingent Design.

//youtu.be/vqVRfCCejhs

I was about 10-12 when I first saw them on HBO. They rocked.

I liked the dozers, who had to keep building or they would die, and wanted the fraggles to eat their buildings.

just wanted to say that.

Want to do something fun? Search iTunes podcasts with the phrase, “Iron Man”

Booh-yah. :smiley:

very early in teh cast - regarding the Bashir issue…

…maybe it’s only me *and Sean…and a few oitehr people…and…)…but the genetic enhancement was an amazing arc for the Bashir character. It made me like him even more and it worked very well for het characters around him.

just sayin

woohoo!

double-douchebag

As a funny aside we are NOT trending if you search for douchebag. I checked. It is a well covered subject apparently. :eek:

Fraggles rock.

That is all.

iron Man 2 has been getting a lot of criticism from imdb trolls lately, because the fight scenes, at the end specifically, are too short by their standards.

It really frustrates me sometimes, because younger people these days have this Michael Bay mentality about action, where everything has to be dragged out and full of shaky-cam to be anywhere near engaging.

Well, I thought the action in this movie was just fine, so the haters can suck on that. :smiley: