2013 Hugo Award nominees

http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2013-hugo-awards/

we’ve already group-read Redshirts; do any of the other nominees pique interest for the book club? :slight_smile:

Her nomination inspired me to take the Mira Grant (Seanan McGuire) plunge I’ve been putting off. I’m a third of the way into Deadline. Blackout is next.

The back story on the chaotic evolution of the virus, government bureaucracy, and the cultural changes (and lack of) in post-post apocalypse society is really strong with good science. Several inspired ideas that are seldom seen in this genre; a zombie apocalypse does not necessarily dictate a pervasive Mad Max wasteland, most technological innovation not directly involved with survival or pandering to fear would simply stagnate (there are still T1 lines half a century later, for example), and much in the spirit of The Walking Dead, even the threat of zombies cannot change the underbelly of human nature.

"Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form (787 nominating ballots cast)

Looper, Screenplay and Directed by Rian Johnson"

If this doesn’t win I will be utterly disgusted.

Also, why is “Cloud Atlas” ignored for screen play. I just don’t understand. And to not even get put in for editing for Oscar consideration … ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

//youtu.be/0ry3e9Qo21s

ok … I’m ok now.

OB

/shrug … really “Red Shirts” was the best the year had to offer … really? Social media fueled nail paring was what my wife and I thought of it … your mileage may vary.

/take that with you

2312, Kim Stanley Robinson
Sounds interesting and has all the futurist fun you’d expect.

Blackout, Mira Grant
Last part of a trilogy. If we gonna read this we should probably start at Numero Uno.

Captain Vorpatril’s Alliance, Lois McMaster Bujold
Another series, probably not as dependent as ‘Blackout’ since it’s a “prequel”.

Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas, John Scalzi
Did this. Loved this.

Throne of the Crescent Moon, Saladin Ahmed
Here is my recommendation for the book club. This sounds like a romping fantasy adventure. Cassie, should I write up something in the recommendation thread?

As much as I enjoyed ‘Looper’, I liked ‘The Cabin in the Woods’ better. I am not a huge Horror fan but Cabin takes the piss on the whole genre and has so much fun doing it. I’ve watched ‘Looper’ twice just to catch stuff I missed the first time around but I keep going back to ‘Cabin’ because the characters and premise are clever and intriguing. The ending makes me chuckle fiendishly every time.

I agree that dissin’ ‘Cloud Atlas’ is not cool. It should have trumped the ‘Hunger Games’ nomination. ‘Cloud Atlas’ did not do as well as the others at the Box Office but IMO that should not judge its quality.

Feel free to make your nominations in their threads - otherwise, I’ll check here before I make the next voting thread

I was really dissatisfied with Looper, even though I enjoyed it well enough. And I hate horror, but loved Cabin in the Woods… :wink:

+1

OB

//youtu.be/WANNqr-vcx0

it’s yours … feed it.