#20: Once in a Lifetime

We dig into the season one finale with some serious discussion of the social effects of time travel: when one travels back to fix something, when is it fixed? What is fixed in this context? We compare this episodes events and outcomes to other time travel fiction, like Butterfly Effect, Primer, DS9, and (of course) Back to the Future. Also: How does non-linear time perception affect culture?

Direct Download
Blog Post

I wish I could find it somewhere, but back in either late 70’s or early 80’s NOVA put out an episode that explored the theories and philosophies of time. The show was not the standard voice over with interviews. It was hosted by Dudley Moore where he interacted with historic scientists and philosophers and they talked about what we know about time. It was one of the best NOVA episodes I have ever seen.

I myself am coming to the conclusion that the concept of “Time” as we know it does not exist.

EDIT: Ok it was made by BBC Horizon: “It’s About Time” (1979) and presented on NOVA for PBS in 1980.

They must have rebroadcast that because I remember it from my childhood (NOVA was a family favorite). Have you checked out any of the episodes of Brian Greene’s The Fabric of the Cosmos? One of the episodes was focused on time as a physicist explains it in 2011. It could be fun to watch the Dudley Moore show and then this, too.

Have to check that out. I love listening to and reading Brian Greene.

When Audra was talking about how we perceive time I was thinking of this…

//youtu.be/QP2USRhS96w

I love that bit. Spiner sells it.

He sure does. This is one of my favorites…
//youtu.be/zbkizy-Y3qw