#2: The Gym

We tackle the myths and realities of the gym, including concerns like whether or not gyms are just for fit people (or heavy lifters, or any specific type of person), the advantages and disadvantages of building a home gym, and whether or not one needs to “fit in” with others at the gym. We also discuss how to select a gym and cover some of the basic etiquette expected of everyone who works out together. Note: This was the second of our three pre-recorded episodes. Don’t be afraid to call in your questions and thoughts about this or other podcasts! The first “real-time” FitSmart podcast will release next week, and we’ll take calls. (The number is 214-296-9229.)

Direct Download
Blog Post

I’m really enjoying this new podcast. In regards to the comments on creating a home gym, I would argue (?) that a home gym doesn’t have to start out with lots of equipment. The best equipment is your own body weight and there are a plethora of body weight exercises that do wonders to reshape and strengthen the body. I would say at least 1/3 of the movements (if not more), on my current workout routine are body weight exercises, and I go to a gym to do them. That tends to lead me more toward the idea of doing my workout at home. Why add the extra frustration, expense and drive when I can work out at home. (I kind of hate my gym). As far as the distraction factor, I can let go of that stuff while I go to the gym so I can let go of it on the way to my garage. :slight_smile: Plus, I don’t feel the need to get things like a treadmill or elliptical machine; I would rather bike or run on the pavement, even in the winter. I have an added bonus of a teenage daughter who enjoys working out and would happily be my workout buddy. She hates my gym too. (That’s a story I would be happy to share if you are really interested in hearing about it.) Ultimately it depends on the person, their goals and situation.

Great topic and I look forward to the next one!

I just wanted to briefly chip in, as I am very much at the beginning of my gym journey.

When I was looking into gyms recently and finally plucked up the courage to go in and ask about pricing and what they offered, I lucked out. As well as telling me what they had and what the did, the person I spoke to was very friendly and patient and both asked and answered useful questions. And this was a big part of why I chose to join it.
I have a history of social anxiety. It is mostly under control these days, mostly. But getting anywhere the first time is difficult. But I was made to feel welcome even before I joined. And they guy who took me through how the cardio equipment worked was patient and ran through everything whilst neither patronising me nor overwhelming me with information

If you are looking to choosing your first gym, feeling comfortable is useful at that point. I have found that it not only made it easier for me to walk in the first time, it makes me less nervous about subsequent visits too.

Why would you frequent…let alone PAY to go to a place you hate?

It didn’t start out that way, it just evolved. I signed a 3 year contract so I have to pay the monthly fee if I attend or not. I am going to keep going while I have to pay for it. In the mean time my husband and I are setting up our home gym a bit at a time with MovNat inspired gear.

The gym I go to is family-owned…so I got a bit of an extra chuckle out of this 'cast cause it’s sooooo true on both sides of the fence, especially the deodorant commentary…there’s this one dude who smells so bad you almost taste it…and he ALWAYS goes on the treadmill next to me…ack!!!

the other peeve I have is in the locker room…I get you’re tired, I get you’re sweaty and you wanna catch your breath…but…I do NOT need to see your junk flap in the wind for 5-10 minutes while you admire yourself!!! (ok I admit this carries over from my old ice hockey team where there was 2-3 guys that did that too)…it’s just a personal skeeve…be modest, be humble…be dressed!! Or am I just nuts on that one?

lol smck40! I’m with you!

I’m an ‘I is whut I is’ girl, but I’m not going to subject others to it unnecessarily! C’mon! Have some manners if you can’t manage the modesty!

That said, I was very self-concious when I first started attending my bootcamp class. Now I’m there for the workout and the community.

There was this one guy with INSANE b.o. who, I am glad to say, no longer attends! It was just unforgivable. I often had thots of an old school cannister of DDT to spray him down with! erk!

I’ve had a gym membership for ages and use it seldom. It’s literally RIGHT THERE! You are inspiring me to get back on it- so thanks!

Keep it up! I’m on to #3 now! woosh