#2: Jobs' Retirement, Selecting a Cheap Printer

We discuss the history of Steve Jobs’ innovation. We disagree (in part) with current talk of a “tablet bubble.” We compare low-end ink jet and laser printers in terms of providing fast, cheap, and easy service in a home environment. And we take a listener call asking about what HP’s departure from the mobile market (and potentially the PC market as well) could mean to home and business customers.

Direct Download
Blog Post

fun fun castage.

The HP debacle can be summed up here I believe. A sad decline from Bill and Dave in the garage.

I wonder if Wozniak still has his HP employee badge :slight_smile:

The rug really ties the room together.

For a short time after I feel smarter for having listened to you two guys, doesn’t last that long though:D
I would never have thought of a laser solution and while I don’t print a lot these days what I do is always b&w, food for though, thanks guys.

Actually, I don’t have a home network set up yet, but I should in the next few weeks. Made some half-assed attempts before, but with my new (and more reliable) computer, I shouldn’t have any problems.

Just bought a new printer a couple months ago though, so won’t be getting a wireless one any time soon.

The hubs and I are on our 2nd laser printer. The first one lasted about 4 years and when the drum kit fell below 50% we decided the cost to fix it was too much. We sold it almost 2 years ago to a co-worker for $25 and she’s still using it. With the partial toner we had in it! Our current selection is an all-in-one and so far we’ve replaced the toners once in 2 years. Beats the ever-loving crap out of replacing ink cartridges every time we wanted to print something. We will never go back to inkjet!!!

One theory I have heard that makes the most sense to me is that Steve Jobs stepped down now before further complications to his health in a effort to secure Tim Cooks position. The very first thing a board would if something were to happen to Steve would be to remove a mere ‘acting’ CEO and put someone they like in his stead. And as Chairman of the Board Steve still has the power to keep the board members from doing anything really stupid and help influence descions.

To do this I believe speaks well for Tim, Steve must trust him enough to do this, and feel that Tim Cook understands his philosophy and vision enough to hand the reins over to him. And shows that Steve rewards loyalty to those who share his vision and ideals.

It is just a theory of course, but one that makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Or maybe that is just the booze… :smiley:

Booze always helps. I think though you are on the right track. Look at what a disaster HP is right now for what not to do.

See, the thing about iPads and other iToys, is that Apple impregnates the cases with the same hormone babies give off to make their mother’s bond with them. Once you touch one you bond with it.

Sent from my iPad which I love like the child.

See, the thing about iPads and other iToys, is that Apple impregnates the cases with the same hormone babies give off to make their mother's bond with them. Once you touch one you bond with it.
Sent from my iPad which I love like the child. 

Until the day when the newer one comes out, when somehow they make you aware of, worry about and care, even when you normally don’t care about that sort of thing.