#19: Listener Calls, Podcast Rig Geeking

In this bonus episode of Modern Geek, we take listener calls, including a question about WiFi slowdowns on the iPhone, a successful Roku-based cutting of the cable TV cord, and an inquiry as to the best camera choice for taking pictures of active children. Also, we geek out a bit about the technical hurdles we overcame to pull off a special live streaming podcast for the network’s flagship Galactic Watercooler podcast including live calls screened from another country, meta call-on-call action, and even pee breaks.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Thanks for the camera answer.

Yes, my real issue is more down to the shutter-lag than with motion blur. Blur I can improve my skills and camera knowledge or, if need be, just accept as a peril of fidgety kids. Its more the need for the time between pressing the button and the picture being taken not being long enough for a small human to totally clear out of shot. From the sounds of it, the S95 sounds like it meets that criteria. And will fit in my omnipresent bag.

That and a need for getting something that can do decent video as well. And, as I recall, you’ve previously mentioned that the S95 handles it pretty well?

Hi Tigg,

The thing that causes shutter lag on a Point and shoot is the type of AF it uses - Contrast Detect Auto Focus (CDAF). DSLRs use a different system called Phase Detect Auto Focus (PDAF) that allows for near instantaneous AF and also allow for Focus Tracking, i.e. continuously adjusting focus on a moving object. It works very well from my experience tracking things like birds in flight, fashion models walking on the runway and GT Cars at racetracks during a race. Most modern DSLRs also have excellent video. Chuck’s Rebel T3i uses the same sensor and video controls as my 7D and that is good enough for the television show House that is entirely shot on Canon 5D Mark II and Canon 7D’s.

Any DSLR can easily track moving children, though the lens has to be up to the task. Something with a USM motor for instance is what I am discussing. Just ask away and I’ll answer it for you.

I listened to the 300 cast live and later on podcast i have to say the quality of both are amazing. I dont care how Rube Goldberg the whole set-up might be what ever you are doing its turning out great. Its always cool to hear about how the GWC machine works under the bonnet (oh sorry i mean hood)

Hi Photonutz,

Thanks for that. I’d wondered why, the few times I’ve got to look at a DSLR, it felt like it lacked the lag that I found with many different compacts. It makes a lot of sense that there would be other differences than just the way the lenses worked. Thanks for letting me know one of them. :slight_smile:

Gives me a few more things to look out for when weighing opions up. Thanks. :slight_smile:
I’m sure I’ll have more questions going forward, now I know the right sorts of questions to ask.