#1: Starting Your Fitness Journey

In this first FitSmart episode we talk about the process of starting a new fitness journey. We discuss what’s involved, how it feels, and what to expect – as well as some key concepts such as looking at fitness as a lifetime goal, choosing goals that match your real desires, and (most importantly) working to learn the art of accepting responsibility for your well-being without assigning fault. Remember: You can call in your questions and comments at 214-296-9229.

Direct Download
Blog Post

Also: We’ve submitted FitSmart to iTunes and will update you once it’s been accepted. It usually takes them a week or two do run through the process. :slight_smile:

UPDATE: iTunes has accepted FitSmart. :):slight_smile:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fitsmart/id505864393

Hey Chuck,
Was good to meet you and I’m looking forward to this new 'cast. Working on downloading it now. Have a great day!

-Trey

Thanks for posting guys. Sounds like this is going to be an interesting and useful cast.

I made time yesterday to listen to this new cast. Since I’m not in the local area I’m excited to hear from Mitch directly on the podcast since I’ve heard such great things about him through Chuck over the years.

One thing I’d like to hear more about is the process of selecting a gym and more importantly, selecting a trainer. Unfortuantely I do not have any 24 Hour Fitnesses nearby so I’m looking at other possible gyms including the base gym (free, but limited trainer expertise and ALWAYS full), Urban Active Fitness (a gym with MANY Better Business Bureau complaints against it), a local City Recreation Center (Which may be my best bet but much more expensive for non-residents), and LA Fitness (expensive). I know expense is an issue but I’m more concerned about the training available and nutrition guidance. Other than that I’m interested in hearing anything else I should be concerned about when selected a gym. Hopefully you guys will cover this information in an upcoming podcast.

Also, thanks to this podcast I’ve started a list of my desired fitness/health goals. I remember coming into Chuck’s gym over the holidays a couple of years ago and being asked this question. I don’t remember my specific responses but I know they were superficial as in “lose weight,” “cardio” and “protect injured joints.” My goals now are more lifestyle oriented and long term in nature. I know they will be very helpful when I start talking to trainers.

Thanks for the podcast guys!

~Shooter

This was ideal timing for a podcast release. Yesterday I signed up for a local gym - 3 months in the first instance to see how I get on with it. And my induction session is in a couple hours time. A lot of what was covered is useful for me to be thining about right now, so thanks for that. :slight_smile:

And my own personal goal, “healthy weight gain”. I am underweight and find that regular exercise in the past has helped increase my appetite which, in turn, makes me more likely to cook and eat healthy food.

Really looking forward to this Chuck. You are directly responsible for me getting more active, eating more responsibly and losing 35 pounds. Been slacking a bit recently and need to kick it back into gear, this will be a great incentive.

I’m so excited that this podcast is up, I knew it was coming but I didn’t know when. I’ve been thinking about exercise and health for a long time so it’s a bit of a surprise to me that I’m having so many “Oh, right! I should ask about that!” moments. I’ll be at the meetup so it’ll be great to actually be there when this 'cast is recorded.

Great new cast! You’ve inspired me to get back into a fitness routine and get in shape.

I’m going to have to bust out that treadmill and home gym i’ve been meaning to put together since I moved house 5 years ago after listening to this cast i guess thats my first goal :slight_smile:

Just started listening today!

Very good information- really looking forward to more!

This was my 1st podcast I listened to and I listened yesterday afternoon. I am so glad I did because I was about to count this whole week out because I didn’t make it to the gym the 1st 3 days like I planned. But you guys said that going between 3-5 days a week is good and even if you only make it 2 in one week that is still going. So I went this am instead of waiting all the way until Monday. THANK YOU!

Something that I’ve stumbled upon last week and that I wanted to share:

http://www.cbass.com/LightWeights.htm

Basically, it’s a very recent study by a Canadian researcher that proved that using (relatively) light weights effectively can turn out to have even more desirable results for building muscle protein than using the usual heavy weights.

I’ve adopted this principle for a week now and here’s what I do: I start with a weight that’s around 60, 65% of my maximum and I just do reps until I can’t anymore (usually that happens after 10-20 reps) and then, without pause, I lower the weight (I use increments of 10-20% of my maximum weight) and I keep doing reps until I can’t, lower the weight again and so forth. It’s just one huge set of repetitions with decreasing weights but you end up putting a lot of effort into your exercise (which, according to above mentioned study is what it’s all about, not how heavy you can lift) and I figure that at the very end, when I can’t even bench 20kg anymore, I’ve really worked those muscles out.

Additional benefit: Since you’re using lighter weights, it’s a whole lot easier on your joints, tendons, so forth.

So far (only a week), I’ve experienced more than acceptable results, it’s fun, it accomplishes muscle gain, I’ll keep doing this for a while. And that study is really interesting.