1/2012: Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, "Dragons of Autumn Twilight"

Maybe it’s the dragons in Skyrim making us want to read about dragons again, but for whatever the reason, the Book Club selection for January and February is Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman!

It’s going to get stranger.

SPOILERS AHEAD

I ordered it today on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it many years ago. Looking forward to everyone’s comments.

Awesome! Then Chronicles trilogy is one that I feel the need to re-read every few years. That’s the book that got me into fantasy WAAYY back in middle school. I hope you guys like it.

I haven’t read this series since high school. I’ll spare you how long ago that was. I remember enjoying them, but somethings age better than others. Here’s hoping this one’s wine.

I got my copy in the mail the other day and dove (dived?) right in. I was surprised how well I remembered the characters. My memories of first reading about Tanis, Flint, and the gang came flooding back. It’s been probably 20 years since I read it. The book indicated it was first printed in April 1984. Wow.

About half way through now. Very much a “page turner.” Entertaining. Not the deepest reading we will experience in life, but a good “popcorn” book to borrow the expression from movies.

Holy crap! I learned to read from this book. I was so into it that I would read it while walking home from school, even led to me getting hit by a car (no joke. Just bumped me at a stop sign/crosswalk, no damage done, but still) I ended up naming my dog at the time Tasslehoff Burrfoot…i loved that dog.

This book was my gateway to all things geeky cool, I treasure it above most others. If any of you have the income to spend, I recommend checking out the Annotated Chronicles. It includes margin commentary about the origin of the characters, story, etc.

Did you know the book was written as the writers were all playing out the story in D&D sessions? iirc, the group included artist Jeff Grubb, cover artist Larry Elmore, and a whole lot of other fantasy brain trust types.

Finished it. Loved it and am thinking of rereading the whole series. It brought back memories of distant days of playing D&D. I started playing with the original paperback rule books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_(1974)

Wow, I can remember buying the “new” Players Manual, Monster Manual, Dungeon Masters Guide, etc.

Yes, folks, I am that old.

Fiend Folio FTW!

So I hadn’t read this or any of the other books in the series before, and it was enjoyable. Having grown up on the Pern books, though, the idea that the dragons we see are mostly evil? Still doesn’t quite feel right in my head. I think it was a fairly good stand-alone, though it was obvious that the reader joins in the story as it’s already developing. I’m not sure I’ll seek out the rest of the books, but it was a fun thing to read on a lazy Saturday.