04/2008 Winner: 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke

Since 2008 will be the 40th anniversary of both the book and film of 2001, I think we should re-read Clark’s novel and maybe have a DTA of the film. (If nothing else, I can only imagine what Chuck, Sean and Audra would have to say during the big technicolor pyrotechinc “trip” near the end!)

Great book, by one of the grand masters of Sci-fi. he just celebrated his 90th birthday as well.

“Daisy, Daisy…give me your answer true…” singeth HAL…

I’m a huge fan, but it’s always hard to get everyone to vote for this. I’m sure the movie will eventually find its way into a DTA, though.

Maybe, if the vote comes out in favor of another title, you should just say, “I’m sorry, GWCers, I can’t choose that book,” in your most even-keeled, HALesque voice.

Hey, I just realized both HAL and both models of Cylon centurions express menace with an ominous red light. Maybe HAL is the finaly Cylon!!! :slight_smile:

Welll maybe, but I’ve always been convinced that Cylon technology found its way into KITT.

I’ve never actually read the book, but I have see the movie. It took a lot of background reading to find out what was happening in the movie. I understand that the book explains it better.

Now, don’t get me wrong, Clarke is THE MAN, but he did something with this series (2001, 2010, 3001) that troubled me when I read it. His original work 2001 - has a different ending than the movie. Fine, who cares, except that when he wrote 2010, he went back and rewrote the ending to match the movie. What the frak! I know they share writing credits, but I always liked Clarke’s original ending. Great movie - if only MORE directors of this caliber were into scifi today - I’m not knocking AVPR…well, I guess I am…

Please do a DTA on the movie and book… because I’m both too dense and too lazy to try and figure out what the h*ll the ending is all about… I was pretty… ummm… altered… the first time I saw the movie, so maybe my impression is skewed, but I’ve never really understood what the hell is going on… and the book is even more confussing… especially when the pages are melting in your hands, not in your mind… Maybe I had a perceptual problem back then…

— Dismal afraid of burning body fat for fear of reliving his college age sins

Well, Clarke has pretty much said that each book is less of the next installment in a series and more of a variation on the same theme, so I guess strict continuity isn’t a “must.” I agree with you, though, Clarke’s original ending is far better, with [spoiler]alarms screaming across the planet as the Star Baby moves in. Cool. [/spoiler]

I enjoyed reading 2010, and liked the movie at the time, although rewatching it recently, I found it somewhat wanting.

I’m still a little fuzzy on how this works, but I wanted to ask that “2001” again be put up for consideration in February. Chuck, will the old suggestions keep rolling over? If so, sorry for this redundant post! And thanks again for the book club – it was just the motivation I needed to get around to some key sf titles I’d always said I’d get around to!

Hey Don’t forget 2061 :slight_smile:

Just a suggesstion, but I’d like to nominate 2001 as one of the next Book club choices, in memory of ACC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23697230/

I agree. In honor of ACC we read 2001 and watch the movie.

I would totally re-read and re-watch 2001.

Definitely. Let’s read 2001 for April. Maybe we could forego the poll for April or have 2001 be an honorary pick. Something like that.

damn, i wish i had time to reread this, but school is pressing. i’ll definitely make a point to rewatch the film, as he had a heavy hand in its development as well.

To the man who wrote the first sci-fi book I ever read (Islands In The Sky), Vale and Bon Voyage on your next great journey.

Yes, 2001 for the next book of the month.

gaf

Geez, I nominated 2001 several months ago and couldn’t get folks interested – now we’re ready to appoint it as April’s book by default? You guilty readers, you! :wink: (I am not really upset – just teasing).

Clearly, I’m all for reading 2001 whenever the club is.

Topicality seems to play a large role in what book people want to read.

To honor author and pioneer Arthur C. Clarke who recently passed away, we’ve taken the advice of numerous GWCers and named 2001: A Space Odyssey as the April GWC Book of the Month. If you’ve got a little spare time this month, why not pick up a copy and join us in the read?

Via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/2001-Odyssey-Arthur-C-Clarke/dp/0451457994/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207529790&sr=8-3

Via BN: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=2001%3A+A+Space+Odyssey

On Wikipedia: link