02/2009 Winner: "World War Z: An Oral History Of The Zombie War" by Max Brooks

So has anyone else enjoyed this great work by Max Brooks? I personally listened to the audiobook, which really captures the “oral history” aspect well.

I also read somewhere that a movie will be made from it, which should kick ass.

I loved this book. The style was so different. I loved the way he portrayed the social and political ramifications of a zombie infestation. It wasn’t just “shoot everything with shotguns”. It was the best zombie book I’ve ever read that wasn’t about zombies.

I’m half way through the zombie survival guide now, wwZ was just recommended to me by “tanstaafl” I like survival guide and from what I read about wwz it looks even better. can’t wait to get there

i haven’t read the guide but after WWZ i totally want to.

Last I heard, Brad Pitt’s production company bought the rights to make WWZ.

Yeah, I really liked WWZ (and Listerfiend is right, the audiobook version works extremely well).

The Zombie Survival Guide (which gets passing mention in WWZ) fills in a lot of the background for the book so you really should read both of them; the guide goes into a lot more detail about the “technical” aspects of the zombie plague (specifically the effects of the 'Solanum" virus that caused the plague). The last part of the guide is a history of zombie outbreaks and the very last one is the first outbreak from WWZ (it’s actually the first chapter from the novel). I recommend both.

I’m blowing through books these days, and I’m almost done with this one.

It’s awesome for everyone who enjoyed reading or watching “I Am Legend” - it’s the story of a Zombie outbreak in the near future told in retrospective through interviews with people who got caught up or played an important role in that war. It’s very well written, I literally got nightmares after I started reading it - during my noon nap!

Oh, by the way, this was written by the guy who also wrote the “Zombie Survival Guide” - so one would assume he knows his stuff.

I have this one on my list. I’m not blowing through books the way I used to; the brain is old and tired. Much like a zombie, I’d imagine. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s awesome for everyone who enjoyed reading or watching “I Am Legend”

I don’t think it’s possible to do both. :mad:

it’s the story of a Zombie outbreak in the near future told in retrospective through interviews with people who got caught up or played an important role in that war. It’s very well written, I literally got nightmares after I started reading it - during my noon nap!

I’ve had zombie dreams as long as I can remember. They’re always different, and it’s not always clear that it is a zombie dream until it’s too late. The basic premise is always the same though: going about my daily life, get attacked by zombies but escape unharmed, their numbers steadily increase until whatever safe haven I’ve found is overwhelmed, and then I always wake up just as they’re about to get me. They’re the slow, plodding zombies that progressively just wear you down with sheer numbers, by the way, not this new lightning-fast, ravenous killing machine variety.

Oh, by the way, this was written by the guy who also wrote the “Zombie Survival Guide” - so one would assume he knows his stuff.

I hope so. The middle of the Zombie Apocalypse is not the time to find out that he didn’t. :eek:

This book is on a short list that I recommend to everyone. I absolutely loved it.

Well how far does your memory reach back? If you had them as a 4-year-old, I’d be kinda worried…

I bet Cavil is the Final Zombie. Cylon. Whatever. Zombie Cylon.

No, back then it was Grover from Sesame Street. In my dreams, he would reveal his true monster form, with claws and fangs, and chase me around giant pyramids of alphabet blocks. I think the zombie dreams started around 8 or so, although I didn’t really know what to call them back then. :slight_smile:

Mmmmmmmm Brains

one the best books on my favorite of undead critters

I love this book…I listen to the audiobook at least once a month. I hope they release an unabridged version of it cause it’s missing a few of the coolest stories but I can’t figure out if they’re cool because I only read them every once in awhile or because they’re actually cool.

I read this about two years ago and I liked it. I liked the style of switching from one person’s account to the next and still progressing the story. I was cracking up when they did the story about the people who pretended to be infected. They were like…zombie groupies.

I have zombie dreams too. I have one that has reoccurred so much that I usually figure out it is a dream now and I know my way through. It is like my mind has set up some kind of game to play while I am sleeping. Kind of tiring though.

Grover was my favorite on Sesame Street. When I was a kid we had a book called “The Monster at the End of This Book,” with Grover in it. Throughout the whole book he gets progressively more and more scared and more and more frantic in pleading with the reader not to turn any more pages because, as the title says, there is a monster at the end of the book. Of course, when you turn the last page, the only thing there is Grover, because (duh!) he is a monster.

Of course, nobody worries because Grover says he’s just a sweet, lovable, furry monster, but I bet you wouldn’t have bought that line. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like an interesting read. I’ll have to add it to my list.

Seems like there are zombies popping up all over. I just started listening to a new podcast from Mur Lafferty called The Takeover. It’s in old school radio drama format with different actor voices and sound effects. The premise is easier to cut and paste than explain. This is from the Zombinc website :

Welcome to Zombinc!

We are a staffing service that allows you to employ zombies - those single-minded, hard working individuals - instead of shiftless human workers. Zombies can work tirelessly around the clock, they retain the talents of their former lives, and if injured or unable to work because of decomposition, we can give you a new one at no extra cost or liability!

Please peruse the site and consider choosing Zombinc today for your staffing needs!

About The Takeover

The Takeover is our audio blog describing Zombinc’s merger with a local web company. Be sure to take a listen to find out what goes on in a day-to-day office environment with zombies, humans, and a mad scientist. Why does a web design company need a mad scientist? Well, why not?

Only two episodes out so far. I think you can get the feed from the website or from iTunes.

I used to have Zombie day dreams where I’d plan out how survive. Get guns and a crapload of ammo and build a cinder block castle with walls thick enough to stand on. This book had some really inventive ways of dealing with the issue.

to quote another of his books “blades don’t need reloading” :cool:

SPOILERS MAN COME ON YOU JUST SPOILED THE ENTIRE ENDING TO A FANTASTIC STORY GODS DAMNIT!

For me, there’s never any warning. I’m going about my life, and then it suddenly starts, slowly at first, just a few at a time. Eventually I (and whichever of my friends, family, coworkers, and random passers-by might have survived) have to fall back to a single building, as the numbers of the undead slowly but steadily increase. Then I’m barricading myself (any other survivors are gone, one way or the other, by this point) off the main level, usually upstairs. Then I’m pushed back to a single room, and then a closet (one time a steamer trunk). And then the slow tide-like pressure of the hungry dead pushes against the door, the wood creaking and splintering, until it shatters. A hundred bloodied hands reach for me, and then…

I wake up. It was all a dream.

This time. :eek:

I read that book long after those dreams stopped, but I knew who the monster would be. I knew. I had seen his true face. The true face of evil.

Where? I’ll get my machete.

I just started listening to a new podcast from Mur Lafferty called The Takeover. It’s in old school radio drama format with different actor voices and sound effects. The premise is easier to cut and paste than explain. This is from the Zombinc website :

Only two episodes out so far. I think you can get the feed from the website or from iTunes.

Good find. Subscribed. :slight_smile:

That only works if you have it set up ahead of time. Everyone will laugh at you and think you’re crazy. They won’t be laughing when it matters, though, will they? :smiley: