Zac Efron in talks to star in Akira

Allegedly it is not in dry sheets that Zac Efron will be in Akira:

Zac Efron is reportedly not in the running to star in a live-action adaptation of Akira.

Several news outlets reported last week that the High School Musical star was offered the lead role in the project.

However, representatives for the Hughes Brothers, who are directing the movie, have said that the rumours about Efron playing the lead role in Akira are “not true”.

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a287573/zac-efron-not-starring-in-akira.html

Well I can stop screaming in anger now I really hope it isnt Efron who I like actually. I was hoping for Aaron Yoo who you may know from Disturbia or Nick and Nora Infinate Playlist. Atleast set it in Tokyo for the love of Crom. Thanks for the update and bit of hope

You’re all wrong…it’s not Zac Effron…

It’s Zach Braff that stars in Akira! :smiley:

now don’t you feel better???

I had forgotten about a series called Freedom.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6769

You’ll see obvious connections to Akira production wise.

I didn’t care for the series so much, but it has a high rating.

well i just watched Akira and still makes almost no sense; much like the directors choice, i mean i don’t want to be racist or anything but Efron is indeed white is he not?

I’m curious. Did you watch sub or dub? I rather made sense of it from the sub.

Dunno about Efron, but that point is moot now is it not?

my copy is dub… and the whole blob thing happens and then akira comes back from a bunch of jars, the universe is created and giant white light destroys Tokyo.

i still appreciate the art of the movie a lot. but the story is rubbish, does the subtitled version do some explaining

Yes. Or, at least the subbed I watch. Subbed anime can take the time to translate literally and/or put in nuances. Dubbed can try to match mouth flaps and the story can get lost.

Then again, I doubt the subbed version I watched can still be obtained.

Isn’t he actually kind of old to play Tetsuo or even Kaneda? I feel like the grander idea of Akira had to do with childhood friendship, and if it’s this guy who’s like what, 19-ish, it would be harder to buy that he’d care any about brotherhood and the things that matter to kids

Courtesy Random News thread:

There are two major roles, and I’m told that for Tetsuo, Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield and James McAvoy have been given the new script. For the role of Kaneda, the script has been given to Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Chris Pine, Justin Timberlake and Joaquin Phoenix. The two leads are expected to come from that group of actors.

Still New (not even Neo?) Manhattan. Discuss, rage, w/e! d:

5 Urgent Questions About the Live Action ‘Akira’ Remake

If you like anime, you’ve probably heard of Akira. If you like anime and you haven’t heard of Akira, here’s the reason why you even know what the word “anime” means. But even if you don’t like anime, you’ve likely heard somewhere that Akira is considered both a classic and a milestone in cinematic history.

Wow. That author raged so much that I no longer feel like I have to.

Who am I kidding? Gimme a couple of days. Still, I cannot disagree with what was said.

Courtesy retweet from Xer01:

@GeorgeTakei

WB’s live action film AKIRA based on JAPANESE comic casting only WHITE leads. Hey, I ride a mean motorbike!

I smell an internet petition starting… ^^

Takei’s been tweeting up a storm on this. About an hour ago:

Live action of anime classic Akira will use white actors. In related news, remake of Roots to star Mel Gibson. #shameonWB

:confused: Is this what we’re in for? I’m not looking forward to this at all.

//youtu.be/jafd97yJFOI

That vid was posted in 2008. Did the author have a crystal ball or are plans for an Akira remake that old?

Edit: I don’t know where I’ve been but plans for Ghost in the Shell and Robotech (not even Macross?) are new to me. But this is from 3 years ago…

//youtu.be/7_DarhYERwI

Though, I seem to vaguely remember hearing about a Robotech remake on the cast, but news seem quiet about it…

[CENTER]One Reason to be Glad the Live-Action Akira Movie is Dead[/CENTER]
It’s apparently official: The live-action Akira film is dead. Director Albert Hughes walked away from it a while back, and by all accounts nobody else is stepping up.