Torchwood

Just want to add my two cents for the Torchwood love. The second season is markedly better, especially for Ianto’s character getting more lines, and being downright awesome. Glad to see other people are watching the show too!

Iv’e got a bunch of Torchwoods TiVoed but haven’t watched them yet.
If I was a timelord I’d go into my TARDIS, stop time and catch up on all my Dr. Whos, Torchwoods, and Heroes.

Yep. This season eats more like meat compared to the previous season’s candy.

BTW: No meat puns intended. Really.

Have to agree with you all here. I watched season one and enjoyed a lot of it but found it a little messy. The second season is much tighter, and the character development has been done really well. I particularly like the way the writers have given Reece more of a central role. And amongst all the doom and gloom, it’s funny too. New Dr Who has just started here too and looks promising. Like the previous series of the new version there’s a lot of silly soap opera stuff there to please the Saturday night primetime audience, and some of the acting is over the top, but it has that deliciously dark, subversive quality that’s always redeemed it. Just rewatched some of the previous series and can particularly recommend Army of Ghosts. It seems that sci-fi on the small screen is undergoing something of a renaissance - after so much darkness, so much good stuff is coming out.

Riiiiiiiiight! :wink:

Oh, man I totally love Ianto in the second season. He’s so not just the tea boy anymore.

I’ve seen the two episodes of the 4th season of Doctor Who. I liked the first one, but the second one was outstanding. I didn’t know Catherine Tate could act like that. She’s good! I love all of the new Doctor Who, but I haven’t seen any of the classics.

And I agree with all of ya. Second season is so much better, but the characters had me sucked in from the start.

I agree with everyone too-Season 2 has been much tighter. Ianto quickly became my favorite.

Has the BBC given a green light for a new season yet?

Torchwood rocks. But, I haven’t seen the S2 last ep yet. Are you saying it’s on the BBCAmerica Web site? The only Dr Who I’ve seen since about 1979 have been the Torchwood/Captain Jack cross overs. :slight_smile:

Okay, that’s not true I watched the Dr Who-that-turned-up-on-Heros guy season. What the frak is that guys name?

Christopher Eccleston.

:wink:

I have only read some rumors regarding season three. There is a possibilty of a 5-episode season, and bringing one or two characters over from Dr. Who. But as far as I can tell, nothing has been confirmed.

Also, for anyone going to Dragon Con, Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto) and James Marsters (Capt John Harper) are going to be there this year.:smiley:

I love Torchwood! I wasn’t even aware the show existed until I read an article with Spike about his “fighting” scenes :wink: with John Barrowman and I thought “I’m in”. The show is clearly for adults (Gwen’s an idiot for not playing naked hide and seek with Jack and Ianto), and I love every minute of it.

The nerd in me LOVES the whole Doctor Who/Torchwood anagram. Very, very cool.

Melissa - I’m with you on the Gwen naked hide and seek thing :wink:

I wonder if in years to come people will look back at the sexuality in Torchwood in the same way as they do to Kirk and Uhuru’s first televised interracial kiss? Not quite the same in these days of fractured viewing over hundreds of channels, and it’s hardly the first portrayal of man to man love on TV, but in terms of liberalising the mainstream Torchwood is really out there.

I’ve purchased two Torchwood magazines at Borders and a new one is supposed to be out now, so I’m thinking that’s a positive sign that there will be a season three. I’d be crushed to see it go. The season finale is this weekend and it looks like a cliffhanger, so let’s hope for the best.

Torchwood is sexy sci fi the way it’s supposed to be: with British accents!

I haven’t heard officially, but I’d be super suprised if it didn’t get a season 3. I think the numbers were good this past year. And I hear that there will be more Torchwood crossover later this Who-season.

One slight criticism. The explosions were supposed to “change everything” and all that jazz? Seemed slightly anti-clamatic after London has faced multiple alien encounters over the past 4 years, including invasions by Daleks and Cybermen. Even the big bad from season one’s finale was more impressive. Other than a couple of folks kicking the bucket, what did it do?

Cr125R

Season one was hit and miss for me. It was enough of a hit and miss to make me not worry about following the series anymore. Based on what I am seeing here maybe I will see a few of the second season shows to see it they have gotten their act together to produce hits more often than misses.

The biggest miss from season one for me was the cyber woman episode. There was no original spin on it. One of those episodes that felt like someone wrote in a rush and they slapped it together.

When TW nails an episode it is great, but when they bomb, they bomb hard. At least that is how it hits me.

If only the BBC had their shows online for non-brits to watch. I gave up my cable box last December, so if it is no online or Netflix I am screwed.

I CRIED when Tosh died 0.0 My family looked at me like I was nuts but I just kept going “But they killed Tosh! How could they kill Tosh? They killed her!” I felt bad that Owen died, since he was actually shaping up… and after finding out what had happened before Torchwood… But I cried over Tosh…

She would have made just a lovely lesbian…

I’d have to agree – especially the weird high heel thing – but it definitely did accentuate Ianto’s character. Up to that point, he was practically scenery. If nothing else, it definitely showed Gareth David-Lloyd’s acting chops.

I swore over Tosh.

A lot.

Was too annoyed to feel much else!

I kept thinking that she’d be back. Somehow, they have to bring her back. It would just be mean to finally make us care about her – let’s face it, her character had been a bit flat – and then rip her away. They did the same thing with Owen, and he came back. Sadly, that’s probably the reason that she definitely won’t return; they don’t repeat themselves that much.

Oh, I SOOO agree. But yes, season 2 was MUCH tighter than season 1. Ianto went from being the wussie serving the tea to a snarky full-fledged member of the team.

BBC’s website often blocks content if you’re not in the UK. I tend to “other-means” all my BBC shows, since I don’t have cable. Try sites like www.tvlinksdb.com (which tries to get you to install a plug-in, but will still let you play the videos if you say no) or www.veoh.com (which does require you install their free player to watch the full length videos, but tends to have more videos available) or www.surfthechannel.com (which I only use in a crunch because it tends to have ads that repetitively make noise and tend to distract me).

To whom does Captain Jack report? Is he accountable to anyone? I know Torchwood is outside of government, but isn’t that kind of a problem? Why are the police so deferential to Torchwood if it doesn’t have government sanction? Do they have funding? When Gwen gets her paycheck, whose signature is on it?

I lay awake nights worrying about these things.