Torchwood: Miracle Day thoughts

I hit play then saw the time, so I hadn’t started.

But, Comcast offers like the 1st 3 seasons of TW. I’m thinking of starting from the beginning to understand the nuance more.

Finished the beginning to CoE. Loved the cinematography of CoE. I see why people complain about MD now. I like the series even more now. And with that said…

Oh…my…Crom! That’s not right. That so not right!!

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I loved all of MD, all of CoE and all of Torchwood’s regular seasons. By watching BBC America dramas, I am acquainted with the notion that British TV seasons are much, much shorter (like six episodes) and that British television series writers are not as fearful of killing off major characters in a series if they choose to (example: “Spooks” a.k.a. “MI5”) Having said that, I am wondering aloud how many people’s complaints would evaporate if Miracle Day had two things: the original cast and be set somewhere in England like before. :shifty:

I don’t really have a direct answer to your question. Maybe I would if I had seen MD after CoE.

However, I must say I can see why they set MD in the US. The UK politicians in CoE all looked like crap after CoE. So, I imagine some or many of the writers felt they had to spread the feeling or position that all politicians are crap, not just the UK ones. How would MD had seem if we saw or if there was the implication of a few of the UK politicians we had seen in MD making similar decisions they had just made in CoE all over again. Well, we could argue that they did just that anyway, but it was the American politicians who seem more like DB in this time. (:

Am I making any sense here?

While I’m sure there are many who would’ve liked it better with a more familiar setting or cast, my problems with MD had nothing to do with its move to America. I wasn’t big on the new team members, but for me, it was all about the writing. They toyed with interesting ideas, but never explored them in any depth, opting instead for shortcuts like the conveniently racist/sexist baddie at the Totally-Not-A-Death-Camp. Mostly, I think CoE is probably RTD’s finest achievement to date (at least in the Whoniverse) and rather than trying to top it with a single 10 episode arc, he would’ve been better off going back to the s1-2 format.