The Hunger Games Trilogy

I just read the first part with a class of mine, they loved it. I have heard mixed reviews about the other two parts, what’s the story there?

^^^ yet another way in which Starbuccaneer and I are similar

Woo hoo so far my theory works. Kids with responsibility would identify with Katniss. I think I identified more with Enders sense of isolation and loneliness.

So I just finished the book yesterday. She kind of leaves you hanging almost making it necessary to read the next book. Which I might in a month or two.

The second two books are not, in many people’s opinion, as excellent as the first. But they are still totally worth reading!

I agree. The second two are not as well developed, plot wise. They are still a fun read, though.

Well I finally read (read: got my hands on copies of) the last 2 books in the trilogy. I enjoyed them, though they’re not nearly as self-contained as the first book. That said, I found the ending to be profoundly sad - did anyone else have a similar experience? I wanted to root for Katniss surviving but with all of the losses and the realization that District 13’s Prez was ~ Snow, uf. A downer in the end.

I didn’t sob but there were definitely points in Mockingjay that had me teary. :frowning: (and so p.s. yay I’m not alone in that reaction)

Remembering myself at that age? She makes perfect sense. Even though she’s our protagonist, she’s still a kid trying to figure out how she fits into the world and how the world works with her. Have you read the 3rd book? She definitely has some moments in which self-reflection shows not-such-a-pretty face, and I totally get that. In an ouch, painful, seeing myself in her, too, kind of way.

Most definitely not alone! The end was truly sad but also very realistic–in terms of portraying the way that traumatized people often pull back from the world, wrap themselves close with a few people they can trust, and focus on doing the small things as well as they can.

I didn’t cry, you’re both nuts. =P

Oh hai!

I see I’m a bit late to the thread; but I’ve been hearing so much about this Trilogy I added a sample to my Kindle.
I’m purposely avoiding reading through all of the posts to avoid spoilers!

I have recently finished the Hunger Games trilogy, and while I was not crazy about book 2 and/or 3, the whole story has really stuck with me. I loved Book 1. The ongoing struggle for Katniss between Peeta and Gale was a bit angsty (not even a word, haha?) for me, but I do remember being that age, and that being so important! I can see how that theme would resonate with the young adult audience. That being said, there are several concepts that have stuck with me long after I finished the books, and I think that what makes really great literature. The idea that people in the Capitol are very wealthy, have plenty of food, dress in bizarre ways and undergo crazy plastic surgery while people in the other Districts are starving and oppressed really struck me. The whole concept of the games, and having a society that watches kids kill one another for entertainment seemed far fetched to me, but it really got me to thinking about what our society values as entertainment today. These “Reality” shows that cater to the lowest common denominator come to mind. I have two elementary aged boys, and believe me when I say it is difficult to navigate the TV landscape sometimes when finding something appropriate for them to watch. I was somewhat disappointed when in Book 2 they sent Kat back into the games. That seemed really predictable to me. But I do have to say I appreciate the fact that it was not all sunshine and roses at the end of Book 3. Panem is not a happy world, and the end to me was very bittersweet, but overall I liked the ending. I am really looking forward to the movie as well. I like the look of the trailer- they seemed to have really captured the dark yet glitzy society that I envisioned when reading about the Capitol.

I am a third of the way through the first book and really digging it. It’s a quick read and wish I could just read it in one sitting instead of snatches when I can.

Trying to stay free of major spoilers, but that’s not a deal breaker for me if they happen.

Love that the first book wasn’t to $$, though now I can see I’ll be getting the rest- come on gift cards!!

The trailer looks great! So glad to have run across this thread!

I’ll reserve review for after I’ve at least finished the first book.

And Reg- Joss Whedon uses ‘angsty’ so it IS a word! lol!

I bought the novel boxset in last weeks Amazon UK sale, only £7.99 for three novels so I thought why not give it a go:)