Tequila Geek

Just got a bottle of Hornitos as a gift and am enjoying it quite a bit, along with all the tips here. I’m a fan almost all brown liqours (scotch and fine rum most highly), but have been slowly getting into trying Tequilas. The top shelf tequila I typically stocked was Corralejo Anejo, but I think I’ll have to switch to this Hornitos. My experience drinking tequila is from a tall, narrow glass. I’ll have to try from my snifter for more aromatics.

I’m curious, though, about thoughts on chilling tequila, or watering it a touch. Scotches generally genefit from a light watering (usually a cube of ice dropped in is plenty), as its aromatics and flavors release better after a little interaction with water. Any such similar effect for Tequila?

Here is what I usually drink:

Tequila- 1800
Bourbon- Woodford Reserve
Scotch- Johnnie Walker Black
Rum- Bacardi Silver
Gin- Tanqueray

My girlfriend works at a beer distributor, so I get to try all sorts of craft beers. Good stuff!

So how does 1800 hold up to the Tequila Geek? Ive tried a few and developed a fondness for it. I can sip on it alone or make drinks with it.

I’m jealous.Inside access to craft beer…NICE. :slight_smile:

My goal is to try out a sam adams utopia when I reinlist and get my bonus next year. We have a place in downtown san diego that sells it.

I am a big fan of the Corralejos: Anejo and Reposado. If it were priced a little cheaper it would be my house tequila. Hornitos is a good tequila for the price…understanding it is still twice as much for half of what you would get for rum, scotch, gin or vodka. Let’s be clear: tequila is an expensive habit.

Cuervo 1800 is an ok tequila. Cuervo stigma aside it is drinkable but still a little harsh which is why I don’t recommend it to the uninitiated. If someone has a choice between a $10 shot of Patron and a $5 shot of 1800 I will go with the 1800 everytime. Patron is smoother, sure, but bang for your buck, 1800 is just fine. You get a lot more for only spending a little more money. For five or six dollars more you can pickup Hornitos Reposado. Try that out and report back with your comparison between the two, I would love to hear it!

ill try the hornitos.
i dont care for patron. i dont know, there is just something about it i cant describe.
i have tried corazon and it was very good. i have a friend that loves it.
whats the deal with cabo wabo? ive been tempted a few times, but sammy hagar just doesnt inspire thoughts of quality beverages.

Ha. Can’t say I disagree with you. Sammy Hagar got smart when he was in Van Halen and put his money into something behind bonds and munis: he purchased a share of Cabo Wabo which is why he is always talking about it.

Ignore him and go for it, it is a quality tequila. I feel it is slightly overpriced and has a jealously issue with Patron. It is fine for what it is but falls into the, “there are better less expensive tequilas” category. I wouldn’t turn down a glass of it, I just would pay the premium if other alternatives are available.