*SPOILERS* Ender's Game Discussion For Those Who've Finished The Book

Maybe I’m just reading into this too much. Maybe I’m just being a whiny, feminist girl. But the boys, for no apparent reason, outrageously outnumber the girls at “Battle School”, when, in reality, the opposite should be true. And this is entirely unacceptable.

The author should recognize this problem and acknowledge it, in future books or short stories.
Alexandra.the.great

I’ve read a lot of Card’s work (in fact there isn’t much that he’s done that I haven’t read), and I don’t think you’re reading into it. The way he writes women bothers me and it seems to be a thread that runs through all his work. I’m not sure what it is, but it feels like women are always locked into a secondary role.

Sorry for the necro but, I just read about an upcoming movie adaptation for Ender’s Game due out in November of this years rom Lionsgate. A couple websites (like ComingSoon.net) have news on it but, I haven’t seen any real trailers for it yet but there is this little story from Beyond the Trailer…

[video]http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=XDhQkXvYLGQ[/video]

I have to admit that as much as I enjoyed the book, I will not do anything that will put another cent in Card’s wallet. Sigh.

What about the poor starving Hollywood folks?

Haha! I suspect they’ll live :slight_smile:

I like the story too much to not see the movie, but otherwise i agree with Casilda. Now I know how my friends who like Chick-Fil-A feel.

Me too. I have read Ender’s Game probably 8-10 times. Can you guess I love it.

I read the original Ender series as the novels came out in the 80s, long before knowing anything about OSC’s political views. I was so disappointed and saddened later.

So, I will go see the movie and hopefully see an old friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agonized about this once the movie went into production. This book meant a lot to me. It’s one of the best stories I’ve ever read. But OSC is, for a lot of reasons, only most of which are about him using his fortune to hurt other people, on my Do Not Pay list. But how could I not allow myself to see the book on the big screen, provided it was done well? I actually considered sneaking into a showing after buying a ticket to something else. But based on the few spoilers I’ve heard (thanks, Legends Podcast!) I am happy to skip the movie. They appear to be making choices that will drain the book’s heart.

I struggle with this notion routinely. I’m not sure why but so much of the art ( books, movies, music) that I consume and enjoy seem to originate from controversial people. My wife and I come to arguments ( often ) on this issue for the same idea of enriching a vile person for the consumption of their art.

“Ender’s Game” struck with me as a teen (and still does ages later) due to it’s envelopment of the pain and isolation a young person feels when set upon a course early in life. A teen crying in their bunk at boot or a freshman crying into the phone from engineer school, the work illuminates the early life of a Son of Marthavery well ( from a scifi jib).

That being said, I cannot reconcile the work with Mr. Card. I’ll wait until he leaves this life, then buy again the story in it’s many premutations and hope that his progeny spends the quatloos with more love and care for humanity than he seems to intend.

They are my quatloos after all.

OB

I need a word to describe the relationship between adults and children in Ender’s Game. Something that is like the sort of shallow, tense, distrustful, almost cruel kind of relationship, but in one word. I can’t put my finger on it. It’s on the tip of my tongue but I can’t find it and it’s driving me crazy. I might need to make up a new word… Like “maltrustifous”.

I got nothing. I don’t think there is one. Your best bet is to either make up your own word (Yours is pretty good! I came up with “malternal” as well. Kind of anti-paternal, but related in a weird way) or use 2 words you’d not normally use together (one the adjective you’re currently looking for and the other an adverb to hone in on what you want) like when someone calls something horribly fantastic.