Screenwriter resources for those of us trying to become one

You worked with Mr. Laporte?

Yes, I worked with Leo and the entire TSS gang. After a year with TSS, I moved over to Extended Play which became X-Play. It was odd moving there and then Morgan Webb moved to there for the development of X-Play.

Leo is a good guy. I enjoyed working with him. After the studio shoots with live audiences he was usually very good about saying high to people and signing autographs. Yoshi and Patrick Norton were very cool. I did not get much time to spend with Kevin Rose, but it is mind bending to me to think he is going to be or is a multi-millionaire now.

amazing, thanks for the celtix program, it is great. I screwed around with hacked versions of sophocles and final draft, but as they were hacked, I had limited success in the finished product. This seems much better, since it is free and all. love it.

frak, i did just find one small annoyance with it. No ability to import files :frowning: Now I gotta retype all my stuff from final draft to edit it. oh well, still good.

Did you try the classic copy and paste into routine? I know the formatting maybe lost, but at least you would not have to retype everything.

Check out their forum, support page and the top of their Project Central.

For questions on program usage, see the Celtx Q & A forum thread.

And concerning your specific issue, I think this might help.

It’s not a direct resource, and they’re a little old-school, but William Goldman’s two Adventures in the Screen Trade books are totally essentially reading on the subject. Homes wrote The Princess Bride, Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid, and other flicks you may recognize.

One of the writer exercises that I heard was the notion of doing Fortunately and Unfortunately stories. It is basically one time you say something like “Fortunately, Larry could repair himself” and then "Unfortunately, Larry’s repair database only had real toasters data, so his head is now a functional toaster: and then “Unfortunately, Larry’s toaster head had radiation in it, so the pop tarts placed in it became flesh eating monsters.”

You get the idea. I was just wondering if anyone thought it would be worth doing a thread wear anyone wanting to work out their creative improve mind could try to help keep the story going?

Sounds even more fun than the The three wrod at a time story–BSG style thread.

And just look to the expanded Three Word Story, The Story so Far (Re-imagined) for proof that there is talent for longer form wordplay.

The three word thread is good. The Story so Far is very good.

I guess I can start the Fortunate/Unfortuantely thread and see what happens. It may bomb or maybe some of the talent floating around these boards will step up for a go at it.

Oh, and if the problem is that you no longer have a working FinalDraft, you still may be able to cut and paste out of the free demo, or the free viewer. I know you can print from the viewer. You might be able to print to a PDF and cut from that as a workaround of last resort as well.

Does anyone know if the new BSG scripts are online. I would love to see what the shooting scripts look like for the show. The way Ron Moore’s share behind the scenes insights, one would thing script from an episode or two would be online somewhere.

Thanks for all the info. I feel a bit overwhelmed by the mechanics of the script layout to be honest. Like I said, once I really finish the novel, I’ll be in a better position to tackle screenwriting. Until then, I’ll stick around and learn from you guys.

Don’t fret mechanics too much. If you look at actual scripts, everyone has their own style. The important thing is to make it clear.

There is a lot of truth in that Pike.

The mechanics of scripting is not to complex. Great scripts are great because of the story, character development, and the dialogue. I know I use to allow myself to be all worried about the mechanics of screenplays, but after I pushed the notion aside, I found it is not hard to learn. The hard part is the story, character development, and the dialogue.

you can pick up a screenwriting for dummies on amazon for a $4

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0764554867/ref=lp_g_1

I’m still interested in the screenwriting, but am on a roll with my novel right now.

That awesome FREE Celtx screenwriting/production tool has released version 1.0 to download.
You can read about it on their blog here.

Bump to the thread. If anyone is looking for a good screenwriting resource, check out the podcast On the Page, hosted by Pilar Alessandra. She’s a screenwriting instructor from California. When I first discovered the podcast, I figured it would be very academic, or formulaic advice. Surprise! Pilar is hilarious, warm, and wise, and I’m getting a good boost to finish my screenplay by listening to her show. You can’t go wrong with the Creative Screenwriting Podcast hosted by Jeff Goldsmith either, though I think that’s been mentioned here already.

Script Frenzy is like NaNoWriMo for scripts. Only in April.