Military Sci Fi Suggestions

It’s been a while since I’ve read MilSciFi, but I remember liking Hammer’s Slammers by David Drake.

I am a fan of most all of Drake’s works, he has a lot to chose from. He has even branched out into Fantasy…

+1 in agreement.

OB

Armor is one of my Faves, and yes it does slow down in the middle.
The Old Man’s War, The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony and also added now is Zoe’s Story, Which is Zoe’s perspective of The Last Colony plot.
The old Rogue Squadron, was a good read. If you can get them cheap, and there were quite a bunch of them.

Rouge Squadron
Wedge’s Gamble
The Krytos Trap
The Bacta War

Wraith Squadron
Iron Fist
Solo Command

Isard’s Revengue
Starfighters of Adumar

Bonus if you like / love Star Wars but haven’t picked up the books

Agreed as well. I just recently finished Zoe’s story as well. Good stuff.

The Honor Harrington books are obvious to the point of obligatory. I’ve been told that the Kris Longknife books are better but haven’t had a chance to read them. Curious about Bujold’s Vorkosigan books, too.

Will check out Mike Resnick and Lee Stephenson’s books.

Currently I’m slugging my way through David Brin’s new one, Existence. Glad I picked up the Audible version as I don’t know that I’d have the patience for the print version. Reminds me a lot of David Marusek’s Counting Heads.

I just downloaded the first two books in a series by Michael Hicks called “In Her Name” that’s gotten some pretty good reviews, but I’ll admit, I only got them because they were free downloads so who knows. I’ll report back when I’m done. Unfortunately I don’t read enough other sci-fi to have a basis for comparison. For the longest time I avoided most sci-fi in print because while it all looked cool, it all seemed so generic or contrived and I wouldn’t give it a chance.

I’m conflicted now because there are so many good reccomendations here and I have so little time to read as it is, I don’t know where to begin.

LOVE the Vorkosigan books. They are more military at the beginning of the series–a lot less in the 9, 10th, etc. But still among my favorite series ever, of any genre.

I only sort-of liked the first Kris Longknife book. Haven’t read the rest yet. Sean has recommended the Vatta’s War series a number of times. I really liked those books–second the recommendation heartily. Anne Aguirre’s books are a little more genre-bending than pure military, still highly enjoyable.

It’s werid to quote myself but my comment from last year is relevant again. Another new HH eARC has been release, this time it’s “Shadow of Freedom” it’s spans the same time period as “A Rising Thunder” but from the Talbott cluster POV. I’ve had two new David Weber books in under month, very cool (the other being Safehold: “Mist Toil and Tribulation”. )

I’m actually so far behind on the HH series, I’m looking for them in the boxes of … stuff … to start over…

I know I had one on disc, which was a permissions disc to read it online, but I don’t remember which one. Which bookseller (Amazing or Narnes and Boble) have the better selection/ compilation of these? (will affect purchase plans of next e-reader… and so will school books.)

Actually, the publisher is probably the best source of these. http://www.baenebooks.com/

Here’s also a site with many of the various Baen CD images. http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/ It’s free and legal. The Mission of Honor CD is probably your best bet to catch up on Honor Harrington. It has everything except the 3 most recent releases. It also has a lot of other good DW stuff. No safehold unfortunately as it’s a different publisher.

I have been working my way through the ‘Lost Fleet’ series and have been really enjoying them. Will probably begin the sequel series in a month or so… (I tend to bounce back and forth between Urban Fantasy and SF)

Jack Campbell’s latest, Guardian: The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier came out today.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I knew there was one coming soon, but I didn’t think it was this soon

Another new release today is House Of Steel, a guide to the universe of Honor Harrington plus a new short story.