LGBT/Queer arc?

And some of it was funny, and some of it was sweet, and some of it was tragic.

Very true. I just heard it pointed out on another podcast how Kieran Culkin’s Wallace in Scott Pilgrim was such a positive portrayal of a gay character. That it was obviously part of who he was, but it wasn’t his only defining characteristic. I think that’s a sign of progress.

(I have to admit, though, I love the campy Birdcage! I just love Nathan Lane’s tragi-comic Albert and Hank Azaria’s Agador. And I always found Armand and Albert’s relationship to be so sweet!)

When I posted about looking for gay characters in SF, I was thinking of BSG and Caprica. (Sam Adama, and Admiral Caine who was a villian, but a villian who happened to be gay not because she was gay.) I had forgotten about Torchwood. (Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who, by the way.)

Hey, maybe Harry Kim from Voyager was gay but still in the closet. I know a few gay guys who had a bunch of disastrous relationships before they realized what was up. He’s a little old be to coming out, but not unrealistically so.

Bisexuality remains an ‘undiscovered country’ for the most part, so Kim could still bat for both teams. They’re kind of like atheists, everyone feels comfortable bagging on them, both homo and hetero sexual. In Science Fiction, even, most bisexual characters are still villains, it’s pretty silly.

Relevant: Gay Me Up, Scotty

Trek had a chance to be an early player in this arena, but lost it due to disputes between David Gerrold and pretty much everyone else.

Gerrold’s rejected script was recently reworked into an episode of New Voyages/Phase II’s “Blood and Fire.”

Summary, there’s a lot to talk about here, but most of it is talk, which I’m not sure would make for good podcasting (then again, I’m not sure it wouldn’t.)

In any other community I wouldn’t have shared that thot as I knew it could be misinterpretted and is also fundmentally based in what was once thought of derisive “You are gay / You are queer”.

So I apologize. The spirit in which it was intended was that the Boston-centric word no longer has anything to do with sexuality (or for that matter, may have never). It was a push at best heavily influenced by that Ben Affleck interview I had just seen.

Sorry. :frowning:

No, it’s an interesting point.

“Gay” was appropriated by “Homosexuals” much to the consternation of straights.

Then, “Gay” was reapropriated (disapropriated?) by straights as a derisive term.

And at this point, I’ve lost track and so have some of my gay friends, who will dismiss things as being ‘gay.’

If I was more ambitious, I’d have a PhD in this…

Excellent. I was scanning through this thread hoping to see a mention of Star Trek New Phase II’s Blood & Fire. We’ve had discussions on the forum, and Twitter and in our Tues Trek frak parties about the topic of gay & lesbians in Star Trek. Star Trek has a deep theme of acceptance and embracing diversity. So with that in mind it’s really shameful and outrageous that in all the Star Trek series there’s never been a gay or lesbian character — UNTIL – the fan made Star Trek Phase II episode Blood and Fire.

In that episode --not just a random crewman --but Kirk’s nephew himself is gay and in a serious relationship with a fellow crewman. They’re engaged to be married in the episode and it’s not just a minor plot point but a whole B story spanning a two part episode. I was really proud of Star Trek Phase II for doing that.

I grew up in the Boston area and yup, “queer” in Boston doesn’t mean gay and never did really. It means pussy or wimp. So stop being such a wicked queer, Solai. :smiley:

There was a South Park episodes a couple seasons(?) back I think, where essentially the word “fag” was commandeered by the boys to no longer be associated with gay, but instead to be associated with obnoxious motorcycle gangs that feel the need to make a lot of noise while they’re driving by.

Words and Meanings. Interesting.

Dude. I was kidding. Nothing to apologize for. :stuck_out_tongue:

Frakkin’ breeders, no sense of humor. :rolleyes:

Solai’s a double breeder now, on top of bein’ a wicked queer.

giggle I want to read that, so wicked queer bad.

I’m having a wicked queer time reading this thread.

In Boston, the opposite of “wicked queer” is “wicked pissah”. Wicked pissah means “full of piss and vinegar” which is a Boston compliment.

I’ve been in Boston near 20 years now, and I’ve only heard people talk like this in Starbucks commercials. Mayor Menino might also. d:

Maybe wavilyem has heard it more.

Ya gotta wak around more.

Oh wait, ne’er mind. Just tak ta the locals.

I’ve tried. They’re not the friendliest people around. Especially, when compared to a southern (Virginia) gentleman like myself. Then again, my cart/disability may be off-putting to some. d:

/thread derail off

No, I’m not slamming you for saying walk. d:

My bad. It was McDonald’s commercials.

There is a lot of ways to handle this subject matter.
I do know that it can be a bit risky subject matter.
No matter what you can offend someone.
Me myself I hate it when my voice goes unheard, so I say it should be done.

I would suggest that it be a separate podcast, I would suggest it be something that isn’t iTunes down-loadable and make it know that it will be released on the podcast before and afterward as bonus material.

Geeks on had a podcast similarto this but it spawned from a bulling arc they had. I would have to say it was done very well.

I would suggest that if the normal people(I mean chuck, sean, and audry, gees get over it! :p) don’t want to do it or feel under qualified, then may be have some of the other people in this community try doing the GWC GLBT podcast. I would suggest to try to try and keep it tastful. (not to say it wouldn’t be, but have people lesson to it before posting it out for the whole world.
I would also suggest to flowchart or to outline the way this subject is covered.

What I would love to see is coming up with a series of subjects and questions and have two episodes,

1. with people who acted gay in different shows and have them answer them (used as a prequel)
  2. with the gay actors and see how they answer the questions and react to the shows
  3. may be having a voicemail show about all the feedback but have Chuck/Sean/Audry head this up.
    but this is

Why, in blazes, why? There’s enough stigmatization out there, you suggest continuing and even extending that practice. I just don’t get it.

I think CF is trying to head off objections (and inevitably there will be some.) That said, I’m with you. If it’s done at all, just do it like any other arc.

the Sox fans meant that with love i think :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway,i don’t know much about the subject, but maybe a arc on how the portray of LGBT changed on film or TV arc would be pretty interesting. But I guess it would be even better if it is LGBT in scifi or fantasy…