Happy Birthday Solai!

Happy Birthday!!!

well, let’s say it like this, on the one hand you got the kids who started to adopt the trick-or-treating thing a couple of years ago and on the other hand you got older folks like my dad who just gave a lecture to a couple of trick-or-treating kids about how today is actually Reformation Day and how Halloween is an imported, decadent American custom.

There’s a lot of controversy, obviously.

WTF is Reformation Day?

On October 31, 1517, Luther nailed his 95 theses on a church door and thus started the Reformation. Pretty big even in world history. And if you’re a Protestant like my dad, it’s one of the most important dates in the year religious-wise.

It commemorates this bloke who pinned a note on a door, saying “Hang on a minute!”

But in German, so: “Ein minuten bitte! Ich habe eine kleinen problemo avec diese religiones.”

He was from everywhere. :stuck_out_tongue:

Weird. We have a few proddies over here, but I’ve never heard of the celebrating ‘Reformation Day.’

I’m actually distantly related to Heinrich Luther (this is totally true), Martin Luther’s father. I often try to imagine what kind of father Heinrich Luther was.
Was he so overbearing that his son was motivated to make a heroic stand against the conventional idea of religion of that time? Or did he give Martin the courage to do so?

I like Halloween, i get to get dressed up and walk around town in a sheep costume, and no one judges me like they normally do :rolleyes:

just kidding but there’s free candy for kids. Luther never gave free candy to kids and let me dress up like a sheep now did he?

I know i know; I’ll get letters

It’s also called a “Bad Sector Awareness Day”. In order to promote better health for hard drives, on this day, you’re supposed to defrag your harddrives, and run chkdsk to mark read/write errors. And of course, “Re-format” them, if need be.

That was pretty funny. My hungover brain needed some time to get the joke, but I eventually laughed.

Ha! You made me squirt latte out of my nose, as I sit here in this cafe. This guy just laughed at me as he rode by on his Vespa. He said “Ciao”. I think it was the Pope!

Ah. I use Macs, so I don’t need to worry about that.

Wow. There’s an image.

Again, happy birthday, Solai!

out my nose, man, out my nose… :smiley:

Hey, have we ever taken a “happy birthday” thread to the gutter before? Is it too late to start?

Like that makes it better.

Hey, have we ever taken a “happy birthday” thread to the gutter before? Is it too late to start?

Seriously, is there a thread that has NOT been taken to the gutter?

Probably not.

Happy birthday.

Happy Birthday Solai! And BOO! Happy Halloween all

Happy birthday, Solai! It’s your day. Celebrate in style!

So I’m late to the party even though I said happy birthday on Facebook. Happy birthday, Solai. Many happy returns.

Happy Birthday Solai!!!
I guess it is only fitting that your birthday is today seeing as you are probably the most hallowed member of the forum. :smiley:
Have a great Halloween and a even better Birthday. :wink: