GWC Podcast #167: Terminator Salvation

No good whatsoever is gonna come from looking at the movie too closely.

Except for the instant field-surgery heart transplant. That’s totally plausible.

Terminator heart transplant instruction manual:

1: Remove power cord
2: Unplug heart from chest cavity
3: Install new heart in dying patient
4: Plug in power cord
5: Evac in chopper to safe location

I think the “why didn’t they go back to the middle ages and kill Sir Connor of the round table” question is stupid. John Connor was the threat. So, as cold calculating machines, they figured kill Sarah Connor so there will be John. That’s sufficient. No need to risk further time line manipulation by going back to the middle ages. Maybe Sarah Connor’s grandfather invented the vacuum tube or something, and there would be no Skynet without him! Who knows, just my opinion.

That said, It would be cool to see some historic period piece with Terminators just as much as the next geek.

Your wish will be fulfilled by (and I’m not making this up):

“Pride and Prejudice and Predator”

I have heard of the Zombie one, but this is new. I’d love to see this in comic book form!

If that’s not real I will hunt you down and kill you. For sport, of course.

Holy craaap thats funny!..:smiley:

Holy crap, it’s real. Produced by Elton John, since it wasn’t weird enough already.

read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies…really good! Not quite “World War Z” level, but really good. Look forward to this one.

One day maybe they’ll write…

War and Peace and Terminator
Oliver Twist and Predator
Crime and Punishment and Cylons
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and the Borg
the Decline and Fall of the Federation (decline and fall of the Roman Empire post Next Gen…)

Have I ever led you astray? Ok, there was that one time, but in my defence she didn’t look fifteen.

For that matter, check out how many there are of:
Dave Lister,
William Adama,
and
Zaphod Beeblebrox

I can’t believe there are twice as many Zaphod Beeblebroxes as Bill Adamas!

That’s McLeod to ye, laddie! :smiley:

Ooo! I’ve been flamed for the first time! :smiley:

No, no… not a flame, just a different opinion. :slight_smile: I shouldn’t have said it was stupid.

Count the heads, baby.

It just hit me while I was listening to this podcast the 2nd time.

[spoiler]Audra was talking about Marcus Wright being in the crucifixion position. Remember the title of the movie is Terminator Salvation. It’s the story of the natural-born-killer sent to death row, moping in his cell to Helena B Carter about his sorry situation, his self-condemnation. He even kisses her to illustrate to her (talk about a mindfrak!) what he’s all about - that he wants to kiss death, not her. The Prologue (i.e. the Beginning, and also first signpost) ends with Marcus on his chemical death in the crucified position.

Act One then covers the development of Marcus Wright and how he meets Kyle Reese, and their relationship, as well as the politicking and warplanning that goes on in John Connor’s life… Act One slowly unravels how these 3 guys are interconnected. In Dramatica-speak, Marcus is the Main character, Kyle is the impact character, whilst John is the protagonist who carries the big picture in the story. Act One covers the relationship throughline, illustrating the relationship between Marcus & Kyle.

Act Two continues Marcus Wright’s journy with Moon Bloodgood. Act Two ends with Marcus Wright’s discovery that he is a cyborg, while also in a crucified position (the Middle, and also the 2nd signpost). Ms Moon is the sidekick to Marcus in Dramatica.

Act Three is where all the action sequences go. Marcus & John co-ordinate to rescue Kyle whilst Marcus seeks the truth about himself (sounds like Wolverine!). Arnold finally shows up. Everyone kicks ass.

sorryBarb.

Epilogue - basically the movie ENDs with Marcus donating his heart to John Conner (3rd signpost, signalling the end) which is, in his own words, his “2nd chance”.[/spoiler]

… did I stun everyone into silence, again? :frowning:

So I saw the movie yesterday and have the podcast downloaded to listen to in a bit… but while I wait to do that.

I agree with Solai. (particularly re: trailer ruining suspense in the movie)

I enjoyed the movie, but I definitely got distracted by plot holes and contradictions. Perhaps this is just me, but I felt that the film would have been stronger if it hadn’t been about John Connor at all. It’s like it tried to do this Marcus story, AND the John Connor story, and it ended up doing the Marcus one OK and the John one not very well at all. By the end of the movie, I was basically like, I could care less about John Connor. But that was just me.

(and admittedly, I don’t have much invested in the Terminator franchise.)

The oddest part was that despite its flaws, I still enjoyed the movie (the reviews I had read lead me to believe it would be much worse than it was). However, sadly, spouse really disliked it (he is more into Terminator than I am).

Oh, that Onion.com is teh funny.:smiley:

“New Terminator Movie Brings J.D. Salinger Out Of Hiding”

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/new_terminator_movie_brings_j_d?utm_source=a-section

It strange how none of the plot holes bothered me. What I appreciated the most was how well done the battles were. They were never over cut, and very realistic. Even the shakey cam wasn’t overused.

Finally - the theater here has T4 in. For a whole week. Guess we’ll be going today!

Explosions, Terminator factories, cool bike-terminators. God, awesome movie!

For all of us TSCC Lovers, please go back and listen to PODCAST 167, T4… I loved it, knowing what happened in TSCC Season 2. just tought I would share it.