GWC FAQ - Need contributors!

There’s a few people (some of them now OGs) that have related that same story. Makes me proud.

I thought this thread need a bump. so here is a shot at another topic…

Who we are, what we do.

Who we are. We are a bunch of lay-a-bouts and rebels, outside of continents and beyond country’s, with a single purpose, to be entertained. We are young and old, female and male (mostly), from different parts of the world, and we have one thing in common. We are interested. We are interested in Television shows, movies, comics, novels and music. We are interested in each other. We like to talk to each other on just about any topic, and we will listen, when life is not treating you as it should. We are Teachers and Students, writers and readers, philosophers and skeptics.
We are here whenever you want to read or say something. We are here when you need to ask or answer something. We are here… and so are you…. And you are welcome here. That’s who we are.

What we do. We gather around our computers, mp3 players, and Televisions, watching good shows, listening to podcasts, reading the forum posts and writing about whatever is of interest to us today. Some of us have even gone so far as to have Twitter accounts (you can see some of these in users info underneath their Avitar in the forums.)
We discuss everything. Mostly the website and forum are geared to and around Science fiction, but even though that is what brought most of us here it is the idea’s and the people here that keep us coming back.
We sometimes (ok always) have forum based discussions while watching a show or a movie (we call ‘em Frak parties) in sort of a play by play / mystery science theater kind of way.
We also let everyone know when we stumble on something we think is cool, because chances are, a lot of other people here will think its cool to.( that’s how I found “The Guild” what you don’t know the guild http://www.watchtheguild.com/… see you learned something cool already.) and thats what we do.

end
let me know what you think

THX1966, FA work. Here is my edit. I didn’t change much at all. Shuffled some things around, expanded on what you wrote and consolidated some like ideas. Let me know what you think.

Who we are
When we say we are the friendliest place in sci-fi, we mean it. We are a bunch of lay-a-bouts and rebels, outside of continents and beyond countries, young and old, female and male, teachers and students, writers and readers, philosophers and skeptics, and we have one thing in common: We are interested. We are interested in television shows, movies, comics, novels and music. We are interested in each other. We like to talk to each other on just about any topic, we will listen and give informed feedback, and at the end of the day we like to think of this place as a clubhouse for a group of friends.

You are welcome here. Everyone is.

What we do.
We discuss everything. Although the genesis of the forum and podcast were rooted in Battlestar Galactica, we have grown into a community that discusses everything from, Fire Breathing Chickens in Japan to the latest Joss Whedon production. Science fiction is what may have brought us here, it is the community that keep us coming back.

Take for example Frak parties. Almost every night you can find a group of people watching the latest new show, a classic movie or something interesting together. Think of it like having access to the smartest and funniest people you know commenting on what you are watching while you are watching it. It is Mystery Science Theater 3000 meets your college film class.

We also share with everyone when we stumble onto something we think is cool, because chances are, a lot of other people here will think its cool to. The Guild, BBC’s Life on Mars, Clear Skies or Henry V are just a few examples of things discovered and shared in the community. We also create new content, including songs, funny photoshopped images and perhaps most notably in honor of our 100th podcast:

//youtu.be/8mZ8C9InLVU

The best way to understand is to post and join. Welcome!

Yeah. I like it.

I will just mention…

We are here whenever you want to read or say something. We are here when you need to ask or answer something. We are here… and so are you…. And you are welcome here. That’s who we are.

I liked the way this built to the new readers inclusion. and for some reason I just really liked the way that sentence came together to describe quickly all the take-away’s of this online community.

that said, your edit does not offend me at all. thanks.

I will take a swing at some of the other topics as time permits. I am a little surprised at how little action this thread has gotten considering how many new bloggers we have, people can obviously write well. oh well.

THX,

There is no right or wrong here. If you really like that sentence feel free to add it back. Mine was simply one editorial pass. I am sure as others add sections and do overall edits things will continue to change.

I have a feeling that as you have stepped up so strongly that others may feel that you are the owner of this and are respectfully leaving it to you. I recommend taking a break and allowing others to step in prior to adding another section.

Sound good? People, time to step up. Make your contribution!

No Worries Solai.

I will wait another month before writing anything else.

Hive mind works best…:slight_smile:

as a reminder to others… here are just a few topics that got us started, feel free to pick any you want.

1. Overview
  2. Who we are, what we do
  3. What is the blog?
  4. What is the forum?
  5. What is the podcast?
  6. What is a frak party?
  7. How do I get involved?

or one of your own perhaps.

I’ll work on this and post later.

Hah. Don’t I wish…

I’m only just reading this now. ROTFLMsBO.
You are the Iconic GWC symbol, my friend. Isn’t amazing that there’s a group of people (us) to which that makes perfect sense?:smiley:

What is the Blog?

The Blog serves as the main page of the Galactic Watercooler website, and is accessed at www.GalacticWatercooler.com. On it, you’ll find updates on what the GWC Crue are watching for their upcoming podcasts, and much, much more.

Initially, blogs were the sole submissions of the GWC Crue, our hosts Chuck, Sean, and Audra. Together, they’ve racked up hundreds and hundreds of entries, on every subject imaginable. Many, of course, have a Sci Fi, fantasy, comics or gaming slant, some do not. All reflect items or opinions that the Crue have found interesting and want to share with the community. Reader comments are always welcome and encouraged! It’s just one of the ways the GWC Hivemind works to pass around cool knowledge and news.

How can I blog?

Recently, the GWC Crue opened up the blog page to the community members, allowing GWCers to submit their own entries for publication! After contacting Sean for an account and password, as well as a comprehensive list of guidelines, do’s and don’ts, you’re good to go. Your stories are checked out by the Crue or Moderators, edited, and before you can say Millenium Falcon you might find your work up there on the blog page!

First-timers, do not fear! It’s fun, rewarding, and the editors are friendly and helpful. In fact, they might very possibly be “the friendliest editors in Sci-Fi.”

Finally gotten around to reading this thread.
I’ll just add my two cents that I think THX’s “Who Are We/ What do we do” post w/Solai’s edit is right on target. I think it will make people comfortable to jump in --and it’s good that you left out any “insider” references that might alienate newcomers.

I’ll try to get of my SorryBarb soon and contribute something.

Well done!
Just one suggestion (to take or leave): Might be a good idea to not use the phrase “GWC Hivemind” in the FAQ. That’s kind of an inside reference, and even to some outsiders may be totally into sci fi, fantasy and what not and still not know what the term “Hivemind” means.

One the other hand, we could make a “What is the GWC Hivemind” FAQ entry to explain it.

@Topgun - I like it. good stuff.

If we were to add a Glossary of GWC community terms and definitions and could hot link things like “hivemind” to it, I think it would be OK.

What is a frak party?

Don’t let the name fool you. Originally organized by Zack Exley, frakparty.com allowed fans to get together and enjoy the season three opener for the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica in a nationwide internet party. As a shout-out to Zack, GWC adopted the name.

Since then, frak parties have expanded from the realms of BSG to include many genres of television and film. Several frak parties are hosted weekly including Trek Tuesdays and Whedon Wednesdays. Every Friday night, the feature presentation relates to the current podcast arc.

What do you do at a frak party?

As custom dictates, frak parties start at :15 past the hour they are scheduled, unless of course it is a live broadcast. Watching TV and posting on a forum can be quite a daunting task. As a common practice leave the thread open and use the refresh button on your internet browser. The most fun you’ll find at a frak party is the witty banter between participants. Any good experience is better shared.

If you happen to miss a frak party, they are archived. You can watch the content on your own. Follow along the thread and post your own comments.

All,

Thank you to everyone who has contributed. We will be posting v1 of the FAQ on the main page in the next few days. Here is the current edit, please continue to edit here and make your own sections for inclusion!:

Who we are
When we say we are the friendliest place in sci-fi, we mean it. We are a bunch of lay-a-bouts and rebels, outside of continents and beyond countries, young and old, female and male, teachers and students, writers and readers, philosophers and skeptics, and we have one thing in common: We are interested. We are interested in television shows, movies, comics, novels and music. We are interested in each other. We like to talk to each other on just about any topic, we will listen and give informed feedback, and at the end of the day we like to think of this place as a clubhouse for a group of friends.

You are welcome here. Everyone is.

What we do.
We discuss everything. Although the genesis of the forum and podcast were rooted in Battlestar Galactica, we have grown into a community that discusses everything from, Fire Breathing Chickens in Japan to the latest Joss Whedon production. Science fiction is what may have brought us here, it is the community that keep us coming back.

Take for example Frak parties. Almost every night you can find a group of people watching the latest new show, a classic movie or something interesting together. Think of it like having access to the smartest and funniest people you know commenting on what you are watching while you are watching it. It is Mystery Science Theater 3000 meets your college film class.

We also share with everyone when we stumble onto something we think is cool, because chances are, a lot of other people here will think its cool to. The Guild, BBC’s Life on Mars, Clear Skies or Henry V are just a few examples of things discovered and shared in the community. We also create new content, including songs, funny photoshopped images and perhaps most notably in honor of our 100th podcast:

What is a frak party?

Don’t let the name fool you. Originally organized by Zack Exley, frakparty.com allowed fans to get together and enjoy the season three opener for the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica in a nationwide internet party. As a shout-out to Zack, GWC adopted the name.

Since then, frak parties have expanded from the realms of BSG to include many genres of television and film. Several frak parties are hosted weekly including Trek Tuesdays and Whedon Wednesdays. Every Friday night, the feature presentation relates to the current podcast arc.

What do you do at a frak party?

As custom dictates, frak parties start at :15 past the hour they are scheduled, unless of course it is a live broadcast. Watching TV and posting on a forum can be quite a daunting task. As a common practice leave the thread open and use the refresh button on your internet browser. The most fun you’ll find at a frak party is the witty banter between participants. Any good experience is better shared.

If you happen to miss a frak party, they are archived. You can watch the content on your own. Follow along the thread and post your own comments.
What is the Blog?

The Blog serves as the main page of the Galactic Watercooler website, and is accessed at www.GalacticWatercooler.com. On it, you’ll find updates on what the GWC Crue are watching for their upcoming podcasts, and much, much more.

Initially, blogs were the sole submissions of the GWC Crue, our hosts Chuck, Sean, and Audra. Together, they’ve racked up hundreds and hundreds of entries, on every subject imaginable. Many, of course, have a Sci Fi, fantasy, comics or gaming slant, some do not. All reflect items or opinions that the Crue have found interesting and want to share with the community. Reader comments are always welcome and encouraged! It’s just one of the ways the GWC Hivemind works to pass around cool knowledge and news.

How can I blog?

Recently, the GWC Crue opened up the blog page to the community members, allowing GWCers to submit their own entries for publication! After contacting Sean for an account and password, as well as a comprehensive list of guidelines, do’s and don’ts, you’re good to go. Your stories are checked out by the Crue or Moderators, edited, and before you can say Millenium Falcon you might find your work up there on the blog page!

First-timers, do not fear! It’s fun, rewarding, and the editors are friendly and helpful. In fact, they might very possibly be “the friendliest editors in Sci-Fi.”

Special Thanks to FAQ contributors
Thanks to frakkintalos, Topgun, THX1966

Actually, that sounds pretty good as it is.

I agree. I think there is room for a few enhancements like, “The first five threads you should check out” as an example, but right now it will do find by itself.