Game of Thrones 1x05 The Wolf and the Lion

“Brothels make a better investment than ships. Whores rarely sink.”

Yes, but they do occasionally go down.

(Yes, I said that out loud to no one while watching the episode.)

Ice is HUGE it’s bigger int he book?!

It’s a two-handed sword, so it’s pretty big. The only comparison in the books is that it’s taller than (teenage) Robb Stark.

I’ve brought up the fight scene and Ice looks no bigger than Jory’s or Jaime’s swords. It looks to be about half the size of Sean Bean and he’s a little under 6 ft. Robb is about 16 I believe so he would be almost at his full growth, probably not that much shorter than Eddard. Therefore Ice should be significantly longer. I always picture Ice as something like a Zweihänder . I can totally understand why they changed it. A huge sword like that looks totally impractical, still it would be really cool.

There’s another bit of evidence from the books that emphasises Ice’s huge size, but that’s a little spoilery. But I’m sure many of you know what I’m talking about.

I went back and looked, and the confusion is that Ice isn’t Ned’s only sword. It’s more the Serious Bizness sword, which he wouldn’t have been wearing at the time of the fight with Jaimie.

If you have the first episode on, er, TiVo or something, look at about 13:17. That’s Ice. It comes up to Ned’s chin when staked in the ground (which makes me nuts. Don’t ever do that if you can help it.)

I went back and looked on, er TiVo and I can see that. The sword used in the execution is much more like the size that I thought it should be. The hilts on the two swords look pretty much identical though. While I’m certain that the two props were different, I’m not sure we are supposed to think that Ned has two different yet similarly styled swords. But it is a feasible explanation, so let’s go with that.

Well, they’re both Northern blades, so it’s not that unlikely. Ice came from Valyria, and it’s likely that Ned’s smallsword was modeled after it.

Needle is a different beast, but it’s a different style of sword altogether.

I thot Robert wishes that somebody would really fight against him, so that he (Robert) could finally get an adrenaline rush after the many years after his rebellion.

Liked him also from the beginning. But that increased even more.

Arya will be the OSSIM!! We need more scenes with her!! :cool:

Miss in the books? seriously, I’ve read them like, 3 times and I never saw that, I was watching ti and i was like ummm WHAAAT?
Phaze
on the “Narry a clue, in fairness did i miss something obvious, somebody help?” ID

Oh, there’s loads. But they’re easy to miss. E.g.:

"You’ll be pleased to know she came to me a maid.”
“In your bed she’s like to die that way.”

So, nobody’s interested in frakking this?

I am and have been. Ugh. I did not yet acquire. And I still have to watch episode 4.

I’m here. Monday caught me off guard.

Ah, I see. This episode certainly had a few surprises. :rolleyes:

As is its wont. :slight_smile:

“What sort of imbecile arms an assassin with his own blade?”

A clever one? :rolleyes:

This is a scene improved from the book.

He’s dead, Tyrion.

Not quite as staggeringly violent in the book?

“You need a woman. Nothing like a woman after a fight.”
“I’m willing if she is.” :smiley: