Cosmos 1x13 Who Speaks for Earth?

OK. This is freaky me out. Yeah. Let’s go back to Earth.

OMG, indeed! I hate going in the ocean because, after too many years of biology classes, I know what’s in there and know what bad things can happen. With his knowledge, those nightmares had to be terrifying!

The $64,000 dollar question…Shatner was on that. He made quite a scene.

“What would it say about the Earth?”

Mostly harmless.

I don’t think I’ll be watching this with my daughter. This would freak her out.

No more songs from the Earth.

Whoa.

Our reptilian side…

V are our ancestors?

Indeed. It’s freaking ME out!

Heh. :slight_smile:

This is just sad. :frowning:

How would Sagan feel about “dirty bombs”?

The juxtapose with the tranquil nature scene is even more disturbing.

I just ate some mushrooms in my Orange Chicken that looked JUST like those clouds.

The comparison between WWII and now (well, 30 yrs ago) makes me want to cry.

You couldn’t possibly explain humanity to another species. It’s too complex. Depending on who you meet, everyone has their own opinion.

Yeah, probably not a good idea.

Particularly since things have changed since this was filmed. If nukes are used at some point in the future, it’ll probably be by terrorists, not warring nations.

Somehow, that’s actually better. :frowning:

I’m sure he’d be all for them. :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re good for the purposes of terror, but really wouldn’t kill all that many people.

Which would probably also be true about alien species.

It does give me hope that since this was filmed, so much about the world politic has changed: the Cold War ending, the fall of the Berlin Wall, etc. But what would Sagan think of the War on Terror, I wonder? Or the religious right stifling so much scientific advancement?

Or destroy the Earth. Just make way for another species.

I think he would see it as a setback. We should embrace nations and people. Share ideas, etc. Open dialogue.

“Machines free people…” by oppressing them. Cylon lover!

You know what’s funny? This immediately ties right back to BSG for me. It challenged us to look at the fight between “us” and “them” in a whole new way.