Calvin and Hobbes

I do have two cats, both loveable. They arrived at my home with my wife, and took over completely, of course.
Their names : Calvin. And Hobbes. Hobbes is very, very cool. :smiley:

YUKON HO!!!
Loved this comic strip. Especially Calvin’s daydreams during class. Also, the parents were great, blaming each others genes for Calvin’s personality.

ya i have like 6 of these books. they are so great. like half of each book is him daydreaming about being a space hero called spaceman spiff.

lucky. i wanna be in the same college as BW. :smiley:

Calvin and Hobbes were my favorite strip to read when i grew up. I always imagined that Calvin would be a really cool person to hang out with. I remember almost every summer when i got to hang out with my Stepbrother we would always end up playing some sort of “Calvinball-esque” game. And in reality at the age of 30 and 31 we still do. It may not always involve a ball but we never have rules and always have a blast.

And to any who don’t have access to the books or have never read the strip, FOR SHAME, you can scope them out here

http://www.marcellosendos.ch/comics/ch/

IIRC, Watterson specifically stated that he didn’t want to have Hobbes’ nature pinned down by having stuffed dolls made of him. my understanding was that he felt like if there was a stuffed Hobbes in real life, then the sense of wonder that accompanied the Hobbes the way Calvin sees him would be diminished, if not lost. i think that’s a little silly, because a stuffed Calvin wouldn’t make you think that Calvin was really just a stuffed doll and not the vibrant character we all love.

still, the man had very firm beliefs on the commercialization of his art, and he stuck to them to the point of refusing to do the strip at all if he couldn’t do it on his terms. according to the foreword of whatever C&H collection i have, he offered to take a sizable pay cut in order to maintain control over licensing, and was turned down. personally, i fully support artists’ rights to use their art for commercial purposes (like using a song in an ad) if they so choose and could use the money (and who couldn’t use it?). on the flip side of that, i also fully support artists who choose not to do the same thing for their own reasons. i’d like to think that in the age of the internet, BW really could do the strip on his own terms now, and make frakloads of money from ad revenues without licensing a single product, but who knows if the man even has it in him anymore? in any case, he got out before the strip ran out of gas, unlike, some other comics i won’t mention, and everything we have we got practically for free the first time around.

Every time I go to Barnes & Nobles, I glance at that collection and imagine all the good times we could have but $ 120 is a bad price range for me. Most of time I have less than $70 and when I have more than $100 I spend it on something bigger than books (video games).

Its on Amazon now for $94.50 in case anyone is interested. If i weren’t saving to buy a house it would be something i defiantly would be interested in.

//youtu.be/Nm2zNCdiWtI

What was that? Looked interesting; it’s not posted any more.

They took the link down. I’ll just use my internet magic for a second.

a more realistic take on Calvin’s schizophrenic delusion that his stuffed tiger Hobbes is a real tiger. it’s pretty hilarious. good find, wisebob.

INTERNET MAGIC IS COMPLETE

Hilarious in an innocent robbing sort of way. I understand the angle, but know the short misses the entire point.

Robot Chicken : There point is to miss the entire point.

I have mentioned several times that I helped my friend move in with her boyfriend last weekend. One of the moments in which he and I bonded was when she tried to veto him putting his Calvin and Hobbes collected works on their bedroom bookshelf because she thought it looked immature and stupid to display them. I was like, “ppppbbbbbbttttthhh! You suck. He wins.”

New Watterson bio/Calvin & Hobbes book coming in October, “Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and His Revolutionary Comic Strip.” Free chapter available, just e-mail request to lookingforcalvinandhobbes@gmail.com .

Story about it:

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/tiger-hunting/Content?oid=1604344

And the author’s on the Twitter: @looking4calvin

And here’s what the publisher has to say:

Looking for Calvin and Hobbes

One of our favourite upcoming new books for the fall is Nevin Martell’s biography of Bill Watterson, the man behind Calvin and Hobbes. “Biography” can be a slippery word, of course. This book does indeed chronicle Watterson’s life and career but it necessarily stops short and turns into something else - a detective story, of sorts, and a rumination on why some artists shun the limelight with such admirable determination.

If you want to read a PDF of the book’s prologue, Nevin will happily oblige. Just send an email to lookingforcalvinandhobbes@gmail.com

The book will be published in October. Here’s the copy about it:

For ten years, between 1985 and 1995, Calvin and Hobbes was one the world’s most beloved comic strips. And then, on the last day of 1995, the strip ended. Its mercurial and reclusive creator, Bill Watterson, not only finished the strip but withdrew entirely from public life. There is no merchandising associated with Calvin and Hobbes: no movie franchise; no plush toys; no coffee mugs; no t-shirts (except a handful of illegal ones). There is only the strip itself, and the books in which it has been compiled - including The Complete Calvin and Hobbes: the heaviest book ever to hit the New York Times bestseller list.

In Looking for Calvin and Hobbes: The Unconventional Story of Bill Watterson and His Revolutionary Comic Strip, writer Nevin Martell traces the life and career of the extraordinary, influential, and intensely private man behind Calvin and Hobbes. With input from a wide range of artists and writers (including Dave Barry, Harvey Pekar, Jonathan Lethem, and Brad Bird) as well as some of Watterson’s closest friends and professional colleagues, this is as close as we’re ever likely to get to one of America’s most ingenious and intriguing figures - and a fascinating detective story, at the same time.

Only 3,160 Calvin and Hobbes strips were ever produced, but Watterson has left behind an impressive legacy. Calvin and Hobbes references litter the pop culture landscape and his fans are as varied as they are numerable. Looking for Calvin and Hobbes is an affectionate and revealing book about uncovering the story behind this most uncommon trio – a man, a boy, and his tiger.

…

pps. Calvin & Hobbes lego mini-figz:

http://www.toycutter.com/2009/07/calvin-and-hobbes-lego-minifigs.html

requested, received, read rapturously.

i’ll undoubtedly get the book, and i’ll definitely race through it like the first time i read deathly hallows, or a feast for crows, or the elfstones of shannara. in some ways i feel it’s another attempt for someone to bother a man who left us all an incredible gift, one that sits upon the bedroom dresser, demanding to be read but also to be cherished, awaiting my fingers carefully turning the pages, awaiting a first viewing by my son. and i feel like bill watterson has given so much that to ask for me when he clearly is against it is rude and presumptuous.

but then again, if he’s willing to talk to the author, even just a little bit, then perhaps it’s worth it. it’s not an overstatement for me to say that calvin is not only my favorite comic or comic strip; it’s one of the most amazing IPs i’ve ever experienced.

I am, and always have been, an unbridled C&H fanboy (hence my avatar). Some of my earliest memories are of my Grandma reading the strips to me before I could read them on my own. Even once I reached reading age, one of our standard activities was rereading strips together. Great times.

I don’t have the giant hardcover collection, but I’m fairly certain I own all of the earlier paperback ones. Quite a few years back, wasn’t there a big release of the complete works on numerous CD-ROMs? I vaguely remember that happening, but when I recently tried to track it down all I could find were torrents that could easily be homemade scans. Does anybody remember this?

It was the first comic I read. It captures the innocence and imagination of childhood perfectly. I’ve always wanted the giant Hardcover edition.