BSG weaponry

Have we established anything at all since the mini-series? Anything SUBSTANTIAL?
I would deduct the absence of energy shields from what we’ve seen on screen and in a scifi-sort-of-way it would be consistent with the lack of energy weapons in the show and fit in with the whole retro-technology approach.
What really bothers me is that WE AIN’T GOT NO DAMN CLUE where the Cylons came from, what their plan really is (or initially had been), where the skinjobs came from etc. etc. etc. - I’m telling you, I’m hoping for a WHOLE lot of explanations - good explanations - in season four. And I have the bad feeling that a lot of this was written on the fly. Otherwise, they could have dropped little hints all along the way. But instead we got the Final-Five-thing, even more of a mystery…

Now, Wait A Minute!!!

It just occurred to me… whoever dropped the little note on Adama’s desk saying “There are 12 Cylon models” - that can’t have been a Cylon, right? Because they don’t talk about the final five!

Anyway, have we ever heard about this again? Or about the person Caprica Six talked to in the miniseries when Baltar left her in the street, you know, the person she was “waiting for.”

No.

Well your right. Galactica having energy shields is like saying that an average toyota has sidewinders and 50. Callebers all over it, it does not make sense! And how that they have left us clueless about alot of things like, where the cyons came from. I think that they came from really far back behind the line to avoid any detection from the coloniels as to there so called “Plan”. They also must have had basestars garding the line. The human models must have come from where proebly placed there a good couple of years after the original war started in order to get into all the colonial files.

Wait are we talking about where they came from as far as them being created, or as far as them attacking the colonies? Because there have been all kinds of things revealed abouth their origins and such. As far as where did their attack come from, Im not sure we are meant to know the details of such a beautiful tactical execution.

I rarely get the impression on this show that ideas are just written on the fly. I think there is an abundance of hints about all these things all along the way.

yes, we are. All I know is that mankind created them at same point in the past, that they rebelled, that there was a war…

what I’d like to know is:

• First Cylon War - what kind of war? space war? ground combat? ALL THE CYLONS rebelled at the same time? how were they organized? WHO was their leader? or did they have a collective intelligence, a hive-like mind? Who invented the Cylons? For what purpose? If they were meant to be mankind’s servants, surely no one was so stupid as to install weaponry into them in the first place, so they must have changed their design themselves - how did that happen? WITH WHOM DID THE HUMANS NEGOTIATE AND EVENTUALLY SIGN THE ARMISTICE? The toasters don’t seem to be smart enough to do that.

I mean, all these are questions they could have answered in the first season. This has nothing to do with what’s going on now, this is all about the backstory and that’s where I’m making my point - the writers haven’t thought that throught themselves, they’re keeping their options open for the backstory because they didn’t know initally where the show was going. The Cylons might have had a plan, but the writers - not so much.

Which brings me to my next point:

• “The Cylon Plan:” we can infer and deduct a lot of things from what we’ve seen on screen, that they planned to have a human-cylon-hybrid child and all that, but none of the Cylons has ever come out and said “Yeah, this is our agenda, we’re planning to do this and that” - why are we not allowed into those “secrets?”
    Look at Shakespeare’s Richard III - from the very beginning, Richard tells the audience what he’s going to do, whom he is going to murder etc. - which makes the play work so much better! Because the audience can concentrate on the human drama instead of being surprised anew in every scene.

Well Razor showed us that it was both a ground war and a space war. Also the painting in Adamas quarters depicts a huge ground battle. As far as if they rebelled all at once, I dont think we have any way to know. They seemed well organized, but again I dont think we have any way to know for sure how they are strutured.

I believe it has been mentioned that the cylons were created to serve mankind. I cant recall, but it seems like we have also mentioned here on the boards that it was also mentioned that they were used in some military capacity by the colonies. I’d say the armistice was signed by some cylon robot that had that kind of authority. We saw in Razor that each raider had 3 cylons, one of which was giving orders. I think that implies a overall command structure with the ability to make decisions.

RDM has said that he knew the beginning and the end and some of the middle quite a while ago. I think not revealing everything in the 1st season is crucial to having the level of mystery and intrigue this show delivers. A really good choice IMO.

Again, revealing all this in the beginning would make the cylons far less scary and give the audience much less to worry about concerning how dubious their plan might be. I personally love the dramatics written into this story.