Best Practices: PC Computers

Greetings.

Once upon a time I was a computer consultant…now I am simply a reformed computer geek. Like being a Lawyer or Doctor anyone I know comes to me with computer questions, problems or concerns.

I want to create a thread to focus on best practices, tips and tricks for pc computers. Although many of these may translate to Mac, let’s let the hippies <cough> Mac users start their own thread if they need one (of they won’t because Macs are perfect).

Best Practice #1: Basic infrastructure configuration
Trust me on this. Your best setup is as follows:
C: (system files ONLY)
D: (personal files ONLY)
E: (backup ONLY)

Now, if you are like most people right now you have the following configuration:
C: (colossal mishmosh of CRAAAAAAAP)

which is a bad thing. If that hard drive burps you are about to get intimate with a pooch. I can’t tell you how many sob stories I have had to endure from people I told should do this, didn’t and then something bad happened. There are two primary reasons for this setup:
[ul]
[li]By segmenting system files and personal files on two different drives (not two different partitions…two physically separate drives) you enable easy backup of critical files by centralizing them[/li][*]You set yourself for easy “Windows wipe” for the annual need to wipe your operating system and reinstall as it has started to crawl[/ul] Now, if you are not comfortable opening your computer and installing a new hard drive don’t worry…there are a bunch of great external hard drives out there that you can simply plug into a USB port and away you go.

Best Practice #2: <Mr. T voice on> Backup, fool.
After many years of consulting and supporting many levels of user I have learned one thing: People don’t know how to save and backup nor do they appreciate it until it is too late. With computers becoming repositories of video, audio and pictures more and more it is becoming necessary for even the most basic user to have some sort of backup schema.

If you follow my configuration above this becomes a simple exercise. “But don’t I need to backup those system files?” you ask…the answer is NO. Waste of time. There is nothing there that is unique. The only thing you should be aware of is that your Internet Explorer shortcuts are all stored in Internet Explorer. Once in a while you should export them to a folder in “My Documents” so you don’t cry when your computer crashes and that library of shortcuts you have built over the years goes poof.

This is where that third drive comes in. I highly HIGHLY recommend having a dedicated third drive whose only purpose is to backup files. There are tons of backup programs out there, I use the one that came with my external drive. Once a month I run the backup…and boom, I am all set.

Now, if you are truly paranoid or have files that if you were to lose you would be devastated there is an additional process I recommend: offsite storage. Basically it is the same as your backup process to the external drive except this time you are backing up to an external drive which you then keep somewhere else…not in your home. Whether it is theft, fire, water damage, etc…this is the ultimate in safety and peace of mind.

I am not big on online backup as I don’t want someone having access to all my files…it just doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Just so I understand the edicit you have in mind for this thread: Is it okay to post questions for you (or for other people) here? Or would you rather keep it just best practices and tips/tricks (in other words mostly answers, not questions)?

You’re gonna be my angel from heaven Solai. Next week I’m getting a new computer, so I gonna probably need advice on transfer stuff from my old to my new.

Best Practice #3: Sell PC, Buy a Mac.

That’s it, you’re done :smiley:

Tell the truth, admit it, when you see those Mac vs. PC TV commercials, you feel for the PC guy mostly don’t you?

Best thing to do for that, and later when backing up, is purchase an External USB drive. Put everything you want from your old machine on the USB drive then connect to the new machine and copy it over.

What I used to do in the past was use my old HD from my previous PC as my backup drive. But you can’t beat portability. I take the USB drive everywhere and I’m even able to play video from it on my DVD player. Woot!

Go ahead and use this for posting questions too Thot. To keep to the theme of the thread a question may lead us to a best practice/tip/trick.

Tied to what 'talos is saying, when I purchased the computer I currently have my migration path was almost comical: drop all my files onto my Ipod on the old, drop all my files onto the new computer from the iPod. Of course, this was before my music collection became huge and I got into digital photography…but the theory is the same as what 'talos is talking about.

Damn you hippie! Go eat a granola bar or something!

<shakesfist>

Just to be clear here, by system files do you mean all applications and programs? And personal files you mean documents, pictures, databases, songs etc.?

BTW, for those of us that are living more and more from a lap top, do you just use a small external drive for your D drive?

Edit: Full disclosure here, I’m about to jump back into the mac world after 9 years as a pc person with a new macbook, but won’t be able to give up on my old pcs completely…

My edit on the previous post reminded me:

Any Vista thoughts?

A similar question to Phil:

What if we have 2 hard drives already (and an external for backups), but the second hard drive was added much later.
What I have right now is:
On the primary hard drive ©: windows files, program files for things installed before I got the second hard drive and some personal documents
On the second hard drive: mainly program files for games, and multimedia files (music, TV shows)

Annoying but it works. I haven’t found anything that I couldn’t get to work at this time. Mass Effect and Outlook both work - I don’t need anything else!

Solai - I’ll try to help with the questions. I’m not “reformed” yet so I get to play on other people’s computers all day long! :slight_smile:

(Correct me if I’m wrong Solai!) System files are all the files on your C: drive that get installed from cd or downloaded installations. Personal files are everything else: word documents, databases, pictures, music, videos, saved games, etc. I’d also suggest that you make a backup copy of your desktop icons and Internet favorites here. It will alleviate that nagging "craaaaaap, I KNOW that I had an icon right [here] - what was it?

I would also suggest that if you use an offline email reader application (Outlook, etc) that you periodically export (backup) your messages and contact list to a file. I once lost my email and then spend money re-buying the latest and greatest version of applications because I couldn’t find my keycode or my proof of original purchase…

BTW, for those of us that are living more and more from a lap top, do you just use a small external drive for your D drive?

As a laptop-only person, I use an external drive for personal files and backups. I would suggest that you get the smallest physical size you are comfortable with but get the most gigabytes you can afford. I’ve got a 350gb drive external and I can store several different versions of backups along with my music on the thing.

I just realized that this thread’s title is, essentially, “Best Practices: Personal Computer Computers.”

Yeah, that sounds about right. Carry on. :smiley:

Personally, I would move the personal documents off of C: and onto the second drive. Sooner, not later! In fact, I also recommend making a \Work or a \My Documents on the external drive and save everything there. It’s then a one-stop deal for finding your files that you need to backup!

Awesome spatterson…thank you. The more the merrier and the worst that can happen is that everybody learns something.

Your advice so far matches precisely what I would have recommended. Woot!

I had to turn off UAC to get Mass Effect to run. I am not sure about Outlook. It opens up but I find it completely unusable. :rolleyes:I think they throw it in to get more money out of me.

I got a problem. I have a couple others. What do I do with G: - Q:?:rolleyes: