#323: Avengers Pt. 6, The Avengers

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 323 quote(s). This poll will close on May 29th, 2012 at 07:20 AM.

I (finally!) got to see this yesterday. I went to a Monday matinee in the local IMAX and saw it in 3D with a dozen and a half other folks (and a 5 year old who scared me a bit but kept quite well behaved). I was going to come on here right afterward and be all, “OMG OMG BEST MOVIE EVER JOSS WHEDON CAN DO NO WRONG WHEN THE HULK AND LOKI AND THE ONE LINERS AND OMG OMG!” but I realized that, perhaps, I should sit on my feelings for 24 hours and let them sink in, so I can be more restrained:

OMG OMG BEST MOVIE EVER JOSS WHEDON CAN DO NO WRONG WHEN THE HULK AND LOKI AND THE ONE LINERS AND OMG OMG!

Finally got around to seeing it this Saturday night (late night 23:15 with only five other people in the room so plenty of seats) have to say pretty good. I probably didn’t get as much as many out of it having never been a comic book guy but with the other films and the osmosis of Shaun wisdom from this cast I really liked the characters. Unfortunately I made the mistake again of listening to this at work and so forgetting most of what I was going to say so I will go with the few things I remember.

on the point with nick fury rocket launching his jet I did come at it from a very different angle largely thinking either he or agent women really need to sort out their chain of command if someone can order planes to be launched from else ware without their ability to countermand that order and get some reliable people so all that needs doing if some flight deck officer decides to respond to an order from some shadow figure on the telephone they just need to call out on the intercom to suspend all flights. You also really have to wonder at the wisdom of hiring pilots who apparently don’t even respond with a request for confirmation from the order to nuke manhattan, a few seconds of “uh, please confirm that, it sounded like said launch a nuclear strike on manhattan?” would have been a nice touch as opposed to yep sure thing one mass murder coming right up from psychopaths R us. A side note there I did find it odd that they had fuelled and ready nuclear missile launching jets with pilots in cockpits, very cold war there, as well as apparently no senior officers involved in the nuclear launch decision loop.

Sorry if that little bit there seemed to be bashing but it really did pull me out of the film. Otherwise I really did enjoy it.

To the clapping and cheering in a cinema does this really happen? I have never seen such a phenomenon and it would seem rather rude to me and slightly odd to clap and cheer someone who isn’t there like at a theatre in which there are actors present to applaud.

For the female physical arsekickery thing aside from the instances in which they have existed I would think one problem now with quite a number of decades of male dominated super hero stuff would be to not fall into the trap of making a girly version of another character or at leased it being perceived so since so much has been done there would be a lot less room to manoeuvre.

I didn’t have a problem with this. Fury had essentially taken control of the most sophisticated war machine on the planet and was refusing to obey the direct orders of his superiors. it’s not surprising to me that those superiors had other ways of delivering their orders. Nor does it surprise me that a trained soldier would obey those orders, especially if it was explained to him that the entire planet was at stake. And as to the plane being ready to go… that was plan b. Of course they’d have a plane ready to go.

To the clapping and cheering in a cinema does this really happen? I have never seen such a phenomenon and it would seem rather rude to me and slightly odd to clap and cheer someone who isn’t there like at a theatre in which there are actors present to applaud.

I never really got this either. If something really awesome happens and you let out an involuntary cheer, that’s great. But I remember seeing District 9 and people clapping when Koobus, the main villain gets killed, to which I was like “oooh, you are rooting for a non-human, aren’t you special and enlightened.” If you really like the movie when it is over turn to the person next to you and say “I really liked that movie.”