#322: Avengers Pt. 5, Captain America

Vote for your favorite GWC Podcast 322 quote(s). This poll will close on May 24th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

http://forum.galacticwatercooler.com/showthread.php?15291-What-are-your-favorite-quote(s)-from-podcast-322

Did anyone else find the use of Hydra a bit strange? Lines like, “the first country to fall to the Nazis was Germany” and the Nazis being killed by Hydra. Was this supposed to set up Hydra as worse than Nazis? Were they worried about offending Nazis? Was it that they wanted a foe they could update to the present (rather than neo-nazis)?

Welcome to the Forum, Nephilim!

I think it was exactly what you said. Even the Nazi hated Hydra. They wanted to portray Hydra and worse than evil incarnate. “OK. Hitler and the Nazi were exterminating folks but Hydra…oh they’re worse.”

I assume that “the first country to fall to the Nazis was Germany” wasn’t a reference to Hydra, but rather to the invasion of a country of reasonable people by the Nazi movement. Scary.

scary indeed … that’s why this dude ( August Landmesser) was a hero.

OB

That is a great picture you added of the lone person in the crowd who is not saluting. Reminds me of in the Avengers, the one old man who will not bow.
The thing that always struck me as a big lesson of the war was that Germany before the Nazis was at the zenith of science, philosophy, music and culture. Despite this, they became so evil, embracing Nazism. The lesson seems to be that any nation must be wary of falling to extremism.

One item you missed in the CA podcast was concerning Cap’s squad, these were the Howling Commandoes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Fury_and_his_Howling_Commandos
The original team was very diverse, including the first identified Jewish comic book character. The HC were under Nick Fury originally. I do agree that Cap has the kind of heart that he would be racially blind.

//youtu.be/KoyPdI1L6RE

Agree. I recall seeing "Cabaret " in NYC back when I wore a younger man’s clothes. “Tomorrow Belongs to Me” was such a simple number … but the understudy we watched that night made in subtle, then stirring and then horrifying … all from a song.

OB