3/2010 Winner: Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus, by Mary Shelley

Frankenstein is based in science of the day. It is also a great discussion of good and evil. The evil is not what comes to most people’s minds.

My edition has some biographical info, and yes, the relationship between Mary Shelley, Shelley, & Byron was fascinating. I have also started reading a full biography on Mary Shelley; no where near when she wrote Frankenstein yet, although her parents were interesting folks in their own right.

For you comic fans who may be interested, this month’s Previews includes a re-issue of a hardcover deluxe format illustrated edition of Frankenstein, art by Bernie Wrightson. It is not a graphic novel, but the actual book with forty-something black-and-white line drawings. Based on the preview, it looks beautiful.

I’m sure you can find it on Amazon et al., but I’d also be surprised if your best bet isn’t at Discount Comic Book Service: http://www.dcbservice.com/highlight.aspx?id=4. 50% off! :slight_smile:

Hot button issue. Better than “Duet” from season 1 of DS9?

I had to check stektrek.com to remember the plot of “Duet”. And my answer is, in my opinion, “Duet” doesn’t even come within hailing frequency range of “Measure of a Man”.

What it means to be human vs. recognizing the face of evil. Hmm.

Opening up a very, very contraversial and emotional issue is something I wouldn’t want to do on this forum. But, when you get right down to it, Measure of a Man was about the question “Does a person (Data) have the right to have control over his (or her) own body?”. And that’s about as close to getting near that discussion as I dare to go.

I agree that Measure of a Man is one of the greatest ST episodes - regardless of series. The issue it tackles is monumental. And in my view, boy do they get it right. FULL STOP.

But after BSG goes into hiatus, take an hour to watch Duet. Again, no battles, no ships, no nothing - just a thought provoking story about evil - and what it can do to all of us, even those who are supposedly “on its side”.

And then there’s the performance of the actor who plays Maritzza (sic?). I’m not sure I’ve seen anything on TV that’s better.

You know, essentially “they” tried to do a remake for Voyager. Save yourself the time on that one.

Thanks for the tip. I will give Duet a rewatch. I remember it kinda–enough to remember it being really good.

I’m bumping this thread to re-nominate this for next months book club. :smiley:

After many months on the list, the March/April 2010 Book Club selection is Mary Shelley’s 1818 classic, Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus.

As this is a work in the public domain, it is available in its entirety online.

There be spoilers ahead!

Closing this thread, as Frankenstein is the GWC Book Club Selection for March and April 2010. Check out the discussion here!

Dailylit will email you the story in installments (a really easy way to work through a novel) or set up an RSS feed for you.

There’s also a podcast version, natch.

(Also, just realized that this title was originally suggested by GalaxyRanger!)

Fond memories of this book. Back when I was in fifth or sixth grade, I did a report on Mary Shelley and had to dress up as her. Made a horrible “wig” out of blonde doll hair glued to an old dish towl and everything.

Also, though I know it’s from an adaptation and not the book, PUTTTIN ON THE RIIIIIITZ.

I’ve had a really difficult time getting into this book. I even put it down and started over again at the beginning. Now that I am on chapter three I am starting to enjoy it more. I’ll keep at it!