#260: Time Travel, Part II

What’s a flaming doctor pepper?

What’s a leaving do? Like graduation haircut?

And a flaming doctor pepper is you take ammareto and like 151 or everclear or something else high proof and you light it on fire, drop it in a glass of beer and down it.

Oh sorry, I was changing jobs and it was just an excuse to say bye to old workmates and have a drink…do = party/shinding/booze up. Sorry, I forget that american/english slang is different.

At least I’m not speaking cockney.

So if you’re going to a leaving do, it means that you’re going to a party to wish the person good luck.

Pretty sure I shared this somewhere else on the forum, but check out a different way to Time Travel here

I’ve read the main line of the Company series (about 8-9 books?), but not all of the associated novellas and short stories. I really loved the first few novels, especially when they focus on Mendoza, Lewis and Joseph. But I think I’d probably shove Alec and his other selves out an airlock at the first opportunity. It’s a really interesting take on how an organization could manipulate and exploit time travel technology. Loved how she combined all the time travel with immortal cyborgs too. And the fact that once you get one or two books into the story, you realize that there is way more going on behind the scenes and you can’t trust anything the company says is true - like time travel only working one direction - into the past.

First time, long time…

Love the podcast guys (and Audra) and loving the Time Travel arc.

Best time travel vehicle has to be Doctor Who’s Tardis. Not only does it travel across time and space, but it’s also HUGE inside. You’re traveling with your own house!

Another great time movie, Time Bandits!!

Saw it in the theater as a kid with my dad and i was so embarassed because my dad wouldn’t stop laughing.

welcome to the forum, noble beer warrior.

3 things

I remember liking time bandits but I do remember being a bit freaked out by it as a kid (I was 4-7yrs old when I seen it.)
Army of Darkness might be considered a time travel movie, or a parallel dimension travel movie, either way it kicked Butt!
Mr Peabody was another good one I loved as a kid.

Oh by the way Sean, now that you got a truck, mind helping me move (just joking)

Just as a thing you guys should look into, is World of Warcraft. They have their HQ down their in Texas. I found that out one business trip. You guys should see about a tour of that place.

Sufferin’ Sapho! Audra wants to go back in time and become a Lesbian?!
But seriously; when she was talking about a t.v. show where a guy repeatedly changed the time-line to try and get his wife and child back: I believe it was a two-part episode of “Star Trek: Voyager”. “Year in Hell” from season 4 starred Kurtwood Smith as Annorax the captain of a Krenim time ship.

Still listening to the cast, but I wanted to throw in a couple of strong book recommendations:

Someone mentioned The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger… this is an excellent book! (And a so-so movie.) The time-travel mechanism is a genetic anomaly that causes Henry DeTamble to travel uncontrollably and unexpectedly within in his own lifetime. As an adult, he travels back in time to the childhood home of his wife several times. She grows up loving him and knowing they are destined to be together, but when they meet for the first time as adults, he hasn’t traveled back to her childhood yet. There are many other complications in the relationship that Henry’s condition causes, but it’s an extraordinary book.

Another great book is called Replay by Ken Grimwood. This book explores the old sentiment, “If I only knew then what I know now…” Jeff Winston is 43 years old and in an unhappy marriage and less-than challenging job and he suffers a heart attack and dies, only to wake up as his 18-year old self still in college. He has all of his memories of the life he has yet to live in this new timeline and he begins making different choices. But when he gets to age 43, he dies again and again wakes up as his college-age self again. Again, a different set of decisions, and again he dies and repeats the cycle. It’s like Groundhog Day, but instead of one day, he’s replaying decades of his life. He eventually meets a woman who is going through the same thing, going back and replaying their lives with all of their accumulated knowledge and memories. But as they re-live their lives, they realize that each cycle is shorter and shorter-- each time they start over they are a little bit older, giving them less of their original lives to live over and over. Like The Time Traveler’s Wife, the mechanism or the “how” of the time travel isn’t very important. It’s about the characters and the choices they make.

A couple of other shout-outs: The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman – explores the dangers of traveling forward in time and proves all of Sean’s fears right. Also Time Travelers Strictly Cash - a collection of Spider Robinson short stories and essays… some time travel, a lot of SF and humor and irony.

Time Travel’s bringin’ a lot of new folks out of the woodwork! Welcome, all.

I’d make a motion to extend the arc, but let’s save it for Time Travel Arc II. I still want to hear the Dr. talk movies more.

Seconded! I loved listening to the Dr.

There are two types of time-travel stories:

[ol]
[li]Go back in time like going to another world.
[/li][li]Go back in time to change the present.
[/li][/ol]

Have you noticed that in a story where someone wants to visit, say, 1920s New York, there isn’t much looking at changing history, and stories where you want to set right what once went wrong, you usually don’t go far.

I think that’s the easiest way to set aside the time travel paradox issues.

I have to say, though, that I’d rather travel forward in time than back. One of my favorite time travel books is The End of Mister Y by Scarlett Thomas. It ends with forward-travel that is really haunting and wonderful.

Audra, I loved hearing your idea about traveling back to Sappho’s school! One of my college profs called her the first lesbian mom in recorded history… but she apparently kept her work in a box full of erasers. All we have are these weird fragments. For example, this is all we have of one poem, “I am well dowered by the violet-weaving Muses.”

I loved The End of Mister Y!

When Audra was asked to answer when and where she’d like to go back in time to, it was kinda eye-opening to see the question from her perspective as a woman. (and I guess that applies to any segment of society that’s been the victim of curtailed rights and privileges.)

I guess it never occurred to me before, but going back to somewhere in the distant past is kinda problematic for a female. Where could they feel safe? Kinda depressing when you think about it.
Way to go human race :frowning:

So I suppose it’s good to separate the question.

1. What point would you like to go back in time to as yourself --where you had to survive as yourself in that period?

Versus:

1. What point would you like to go back in time to as just a disembodied observer?

Thinking about that, it occurs to me what a great era we live in right now in terms of movies and TV. A lot of the places in history that I’d like to see have been BEAUTIFULLY recreated on the screen in TV and movies.

For instance, I’d love to go back and see that moment the American Colonies declared independence from Britain. Or George Washington’s inauguration, or ancient Rome when Julius Caesar took power, or Deadwood when Wild Bill Hickok was shot in the back.

All those moments have been recreated on TV in shows like John Adams, Rome and Deadwood-– (wow I sound like an HBO commercial).

Anyway, we’re living a pretty satisfying era right now on that score.

Finally got done listening. I think just in time for the next show to come out :slight_smile:

You guys talked about dishes discoloring at varying rates. I rotate my dishes. I know I’m weird, but after a decade they’re all still the same color :slight_smile:

Phidippides was the guy who ran the first “marathon.” Not quite as funny as “epidippydipidies” but still a funny name.

The best time machine is really a TARDIS. I mean, near-instant teleportation to any point in space and time, AND a seemingly infinite amount of interior space? I’m in. Though I don’t want to have to pay the cleaning crew.

That must be what K-9 was for.

Oooh, a plug! We’ve got a GWC guild, the awesomely named (and courageously lead by Mr. Juan) Alpaca Syndicate, on (US) Staghelm-H. Any and all alpacas are welcome! :slight_smile:

Almost two years ago (wow) I posted a thread If you had a Time Machine… A bunch of GWCers chimed in. Check it out. :groucho:

Now, to answer a few questions posed in the 'cast. How would I time travel? I would hitch a ride with Admiral Kirk, especially if it meant having to jump his bones like Dr. Gillian Taylor to get there. Um, that came out wrong. Maybe. Yeah.

Anyway, I’ve said it before on here (but I can’t find where) :shifty: First thing I do when I get a time machine. Go to the Skywalker Ranch, circa 1993, and kidnap George Lucas. Bring him forward in time. Make him watch the Prequels and point out all the problems, which has been made easier thanks to “Mr. Plinkett”. Then bring him back to 1993 and tell him to hire a frakkin screenwriter. My closing words will be, “If you frak it up, I will come back and we will do this over until you get it right.”