#258: Artificial Intelligence, Part III

And also like you mentioned, the idea of eternal life sought by humans since pretty much forever spiritually or scientifically is probably a good drive for us to want to pursue more and more artificial organs that will lengthen our lifespan.

I can’t help but think about Caprica when reading the post! It sounds pretty much what the writers were at least trying to explore in the show, the crux of humanity as AI becomes a reality, and what it ends up being used for for different people, be it for fun, for curiousity, for power, for military prowess, for rebel prowess, for religion, for bringing daughters back to life, etc. Dang, I still miss the show.

I want to vouch for Justified too. Basically, it is sort of a modernized version of a Western (the character Raylan Givens came from some of Elmore Leonard’s stories), where Raylan is a US marshall who reluctantly gets transferred (because of the numerous justified shootings)from Miami to his hometown (I think it’s Kentucky? Somewhere like that). He enjoys shooting bad guys, but he’s also, like Omar, a man with a code (and a Stetson, which are, as the Doctor says, is cool) - and he’s charming and funny, which comes into play sometimes in his cases. Season one starts off with more standalone episodes, some are good, others are awesome, than about midway there’s a bigger arc and it’s pretty damn awesome. Season two just began, and for Lost fans, you’ll see a very familiar face who looks to be a regular or at least semi regular this season I was pretty damn psyched to see. It’s not really what I thought I’d like, but so far I’m really enjoying the show.

I also watched season 1 around the time I was playing Red Dead Redemption, and I like to think that John Marston and Raylan Givens are kind of kindred spirits.

Re: Body and Mind
I think body and mind both affect and shape our personalities and who we are from within (how we perceive the world in the body we’re in, and how we perceive ourselves) and out (how others perceive ourselves that affect our personality). We’re still living in a world where looks still matter a whole lot, and physical attributes are as much a part of who we are as a person as our mental capabilities - I’d imagine I’d view myself differently (and others would), or at least be affected by, if I say, look like Angelina Jolie. Or if I’m in a man’s body. Or if I’m of a different ethnicity. Or if I’m fatter. etc. And in terms of how we perceive the world in the body we’re in, our bodies are what we use to interact with the world at large, which is a factor in how these experiences would be like (which in turn shape our interests). I’d imagine it would affect us a whole lot more if we become something so beyond what we think of humans, and ourselves to be, physically, like a brain in a pool of water, even on a most basic level. I guess it’s not unlike those switcheroo stories where someone becomes trapped in a dog or whatever, and begins to act more doglike even though he’s still a man kind of thing. :smiley:

Greetings all . . .

I do not post regurlarly but I do listen regularly.

I have a 63 mile one-way commute to work. 6 months ago, I decided I would re-listen to all the podcast episodes from the first whilst driving and whenever else.

This week I am finally caught up to current episode.

I have become a GWC Addict.

I do not know what I will listen to now. I went to the library and borrowed a couple of audiobooks. One is Revenge of the Sith and the other is Bram Stoker’s Dracula. I tried Dracula first and couldn’t get past the second disk because of lack of action. I am almost at the end of ‘sith’. Does anyone have any good suggestions for action oriented Sci-Fi audiobooks?

I need my GWC . . . .

I need my GWC fix . . .

please . . .

:cool:

First off, welcome aboard.

Second, I’m currently working through the audio versions of The Song of Ice and Fire series. However, I’m hesitant to recommend them to you since the first one, like Dracula, has all the action in the end.

A really, really good one is Charles Stross’ Trunk and Disorderly. I’ve listened to it a dozen times and it never gets old.

Have you read Lois McMaster Bujold’s Vorkosigan series? I recommend that not only because I love those books, but also because the narrator of the audio versions is truly awesome. Also, I got almost all of them from the library.

I recently listened to the current GWC book club selection, China Mieville’s The City and The City and also liked it a lot.

Also, the audio versions of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower series should take you at least a month. It’s not sci-fi, but a gender mash-up of horror, western, fantasy and a hero’s journey. Definitely good.

Finally, I love Octavia Butler like woah, so if you can get ahold of any of her books on audio, go for it! Audible carries her final book, Fledgling, which is excellent.

I was a big fan of Orson Scott Card, there aren’t that many books of his that I haven’t read—and I really enjoy his short stories. His work is a huge part of my experience as a reader of science fiction.

But. I’ve learned that sometimes learning too much about an author can work against you when it comes to enjoying his writing. The older I get, and the more I learn about him, the harder it is to let books like Ender’s Game stand on their own.

I haven’t read any of his books in years, and I plan to go back and reread them so I can be more specific about this general feeling I have now towards him. The way he writes women bothers me. I don’t know why exactly, but I always feel like they are pushed to the periphery of his stories, because when the crap really hits the fan it’s all about the men.

I think it would be very hard to cast Ender’s Game as a live action film. Not only would it be hard to find a child actor who has the chops to pull off the main character, they would need to find six or seven equally talented kids to play his siblings and some of the children at the Battle School. I can’t imagine how they’d manage to pull that off. The children seem impossibly smart and mature, and I remember being struck by that the first time I read the book. I could roll with it because I guess it’s possible, but when I imagine seeing a living breathing child reciting the things that Ender, Valentine, or Peter say I’m not sure it would work.

Four words: Tom Hanks, motion capture. Just like Polar Express.

I’m kidding.

Oh, I hope some producer didn’t see that and take it seriously.

Two words: Uncanny valley >.>

This point isn’t actually very far out at all; we’ve already started to touch on some of these issues. Back in the mid-90s, Aimee Mullins absolutely destroyed all kinds of track and field records while she was at Georgetown (she went on to break the Paralympic world records in the 100 & 200 meter and long jump). Undoubtably one of the major factors in her victories was the fact that, as a double amputee, she ran on two woven carbon fiber cheetah-inspired prosthetic legs. It sparked all manner of controversy, and if I’m not mistaken, the NCAA now has very strict policies regulating the use of prostheses in collegiate athletics (effectively barring from competition anyone who is deemed to have an unfair advantage).

Just listened to this week’s On the Media podcast-- the subject is the internet and how it changes us personally and globally, but neat the end, it starts to get into some AI stuff. Go to http://www.onthemedia.org/ to check it out.

I’m a noob to the forum, but thought this was an appropriate cast to make my first comment on in the forum.
I’m from KY and died laughing at Sean’s spiel on Justified…best quote ever “He’s like the hillbilly whisperer”.
I thoroughly enjoyed the AI arc!

Have really enjoyed this arc.
My favorite AI flix are the Terminator films.
There are so many good ones, but all the Terminator movies I just love.

Welcome, glenners!

Sean kills me on a regular basis! I love the Hillbilly Whisperer, too!

I was just watching this week’s Justified. Raylan’s boss called him the “Hillbilly Whisperer”!!

That’s OSSIM!!

Time travel is possible!

Sent from the future using NeuroSync on my iPhone 10, and if you think that is cool you should see FastCart’s pimping antigravity rig; it is sweeeeeeet! :smiley:

That’s supposed to be secret until the patent is approved…